Valentino Rossi: Too early to ponder 2013 change
Valentino Rossi says it is too early to contemplate where his future lies in MotoGP after Casey Stoner’s shock decision to retire sparked rumours the Italian could make a dramatic return to Honda or Yamaha in 2013.
HRC and Yamaha management have previously ruled out a swoop for Rossi next season while the 33-year-old struggles to be a consistent front-runner at Ducati.
Stoner’s retirement decision last week in Le Mans though is likely to have a drastic impact on the 2013 rider market.
Although Rossi hasn’t won a race since the Sepang clash in 2010, he is still going to be hot property for next season and Ducati has already made it clear they want to keep the nine-times world champion.
Honda have also hinted that they will at least speak to Rossi, who scored his best result for Ducati with second place during last Sunday’s rain-affected French Grand Prix.
But Rossi told MCN: “For me it is too early to say but it depends very much on what happens in the next two or three months. A lot of things will change during the season because all the riders are at the end of the contract.
"But for sure with Stoner stopping the confusion will become bigger. But now it is very early to try and understand what will happen.”
Rossi quashed rumours of his own retirement in France last week when he declared his intention to race until the end of 2014.