Jorge Lorenzo silent on last corner controversy in Jerez
Jorge Lorenzo repeatedly refused to express his views on the controversial last corner overtake by Marc Marquez that left the factory Yamaha rider third and overwhelmed by anger and frustration at the end of yesterday's Spanish MotoGP race.
The reigning world champion thought he had second place secured after Marquez botched an attempted overtake at Turn 6 on the last lap.
But in scenes reminiscent of Valentino Rossi and Sete Gibernau’s famous clash in the final corner at Jerez in 2005, Marquez produced a late lunge that saw him collide with Lorenzo.
The impact pushed Marquez back into the corner to claim a second place that secured him the outright lead in the world championship standings after maintaining his 100% podium record in his rookie season.
Lorenzo though was pushed wide and fortunate not to crash and he made it clear he felt Marquez’s hard and aggressive move had gone beyond the limit when he refused to shake the reigning Moto2 world champion’s hand in Parc Ferme.
He also refused to acknowledge Marquez on the podium when the 20-year-old tried to tap champagne bottles and in a post race press conference fraught with tension, he refused point-blank to answer any questions on the incident.
The closest he got to speaking about what happened in a dramatic finale to the 27-lap race came when he admitted it was his mistake not protecting the inside line more in the braking zone.
Lorenzo, who ironically had the final corner in Jerez named after him on his 26th birthday on Saturday, said: “I tried to ride perfectly in every corner and I made a perfect race apart from two mistakes. I started very bad and in the last corner I didn’t close the door perfectly because I thought Marc was much further back after his mistake.”
When asked for his reaction to Marquez’s dive underneath him, the double MotoGP world champion said: “I don’t gain anything by saying something now. I’m not going to talk about it. I didn’t crash and I have 16 more points and we can focus on the next race.”
Did he think Marquez should have got a penalty from Race Direction for a move he clearly felt was too dangerous?
He added: “I am not going to speak about this. Sorry I decide not to speak about this.”
Race Direction deliberated for over half-an-hour before deciding it was a racing incident and Marquez would not be penalised.
He was then asked how severe the contact had been from Marquez’s Repsol Honda RC213V and how close he had been to crashing out.
His reply was: “ I can’t say anything about this I am sorry.”
And when asked if the incident would drastically alter a previously good relationship with hard riding Marquez, he said: “I don’t think it matters so much in this moment.”
For four pages of exclusive reaction to the controversial final corner in Jerez, see the May 8 issue of Motor Cycle News.