Repsol Honda duo Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa have both said they hope the fast and technical Brno circuit remains on the MotoGP world championship schedule after 2014.
Doubts have been cast about the future of the Czech Republic round, with track officials unsure if a government subsidy of around £900,000 to help host the event will still be made available for 2015.
Brno has been on the premier class calendar since 1987 and is popular with riders and fans alike.
It’s three-day crowd has been well over 200,000 since 2007 and last year the race day attendance of 142,030 was easily the largest of the season, with Jerez the second best attended Sunday with a crowd of 111,259.
And after taking part in a private HRC test session at Brno this week ahead of next month’s Czech Republic round on August 17, Marquez and Pedrosa are hoping a new deal can be thrashed out.
Reigning MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez, who has a perfect record in 2014 with nine wins from nine, said: “It is not one of my favourite tracks but I hope it remains on the calendar because it is a good track. It is fast with a lot of hard braking points and also high speed corners and hard acceleration. There were a lot of fans here for the test also, even though only me and Dani were out on track, so there is a lot of interest for MotoGP here.”
Pedrosa too wants Brno to continue on the calendar and he added: “I like this track and it is one of my favourites. It is wide and fast and you can use a lot of the power of these bikes. If this is the last year for me then it is not good news because I like it. The track is quite modern and we have good racing here, so it would be a shame but it is not in my hands.”
Dorna is confident the race will go ahead next season, with the MotoGP race the biggest sporting event in the Czech Republic.