Aaron Canet stormed to a brilliant Moto3 win at Brno, a result that moves him back to the top of the championship standings. In an intense battle with title rival Lorenzo Dalla Porta and pole man Tony Alborino, Canet’s final lap strategy was perfect and he secured the win by 0.159s.
In what was his first win since the COTA race in April, Canet who rides for the Max Biaggi led KTM squad said “I knew had to be in second place to be in the right position to fight for the victory in the final corners. This is a very important win.”
Title contender Lorenzo Dalla Porta fought back brilliantly from his 17th place on the grid to take second position meaning he loses his championship lead to Canet.
He said: “Back on the podium which is good. On the first lap I had to be a bit crazy. From there I tried to get into my rhythm but at the end my rear tyre was finished. I made a mistake in the final corner which prevented me trying to overtake Canet. We are first and second in the championship, it’s a long year and this is how it’s going to be.”
Pole man Alborino, was clearly disappointed with the result despite finishing on the podium. Front row qualifier Niccolo Antonelli was forced to start from pitlane after a problem on the grid, but fought through brilliantly to claim fifth.
It was a disastrous day for front row man John McPhee who appeared to activate his pit lane limiter off the start and was subsequently hit by wild card rider Yuki Kunii. McPhee was taken to the medical centre after having to be helped off his bike in pitlane.
Fellow Brit Tom Booth Amos crashed out with 17 laps to go.
Brno Moto3 result
1. Aron Canet (Sterilgada Max Racing Team)
2. Lorenzo Dalla Porta (Leopard Racing) +0.159
3. Tony Arbolino (VNE Snipers Team) +0.217
4. Jaume Masia (Bester Capital Dubai) +0.404
5. Niccolo Antonelli (SIC58 Squadra Corse) +0.499
6. Ai Ogura (Honda Team Asia) +0.530
7. Andrea Migno (Bester Capital Dubai) +0.715
8. Romano Fenati (VNE Snipers Team) +0.737
9. Jakub Kornfeil (Redox Prüstel GP) +1.063
10. Darryn Binder (CIP Green Power) +1.757