Ulster GP: Hickman doubles up in Supersport
Peter Hickman doubled up in the Supersport class with his third victory of the day at this year’s Ulster Grand Prix.
After being beaten by Bruce Anstey to the top step in the Superbike class, Hickman came out fighting as the Supersport race got underway and had pulled a 2.7 second lead on the first lap before a red flag halted the race after an incident at the hairpin.
With the incident cleared quickly, the race was restarted over a full six laps but Hickman wasn’t able to pull the same kind of lead as the race got underway. Initially it was the MD Racing Yamaha of Michael Dunlop breathing down his neck after a bad start for Anstey, but the Padgetts Honda would charge through the pack to lead the chase on Hickman.
- Ulster GP: Outright record and Dundrod 150 win for Hickman
- Burgman 400: More than just a commuter scooter
- Ride with Schwantz
- MCN Fleet: Who's a fellow X-Adv rider?
- MotoGP: Miller finally confirmed at Pramac Ducati for 2018
Anstey reeled Hickman in to just 0.2 seconds and would take the lead on two occasions, but it wasn’t enough to get the better of the Lincolnshireman.
A strong second half of the race saw Lee Johnston join the battle of the lead. The diminutive Irishman even moved into P1 on the final lap before a hard move by Hickman saw him pushed back to second before team-mate Bruce Anstey then got the better of him in the closing stages.
Michael Dunlop would eventually finish fourth ahead of an impressive run from youngster Paul Jordan with Jamie Coward rounding out the top six.
Supersport Race 2 Result
- Peter Hickman – Smiths Trooper Triumph
- Bruce Anstey – Padgetts Honda +0.314
- Lee Johnston – Padgetts Honda +0.880
- Michael Dunlop – MD Racing Yamaha +1.179
- Paul Jordan – IMR Evolution Camping Yamaha +23.519
- Jamie Coward – Radcliffe’s Racing +23.644
- Christian Elkin – Kawasaki +25.221
- Dan Cooper – Dan Cooper Racing +25.277
- James Cowton – McAdoo Kawasaki +25.617
- Joey Thompson – ILR +39.866