Ulster GP: Outright record and Dundrod 150 win for Hickman
Peter Hickman turned his dominant qualifying pace into results in the opening race at this year’s Ulster Grand Prix, storming to an unchallenged Dundrod 150 Superbike win.
It was a lights to flag victory for the Smiths BMW rider despite a hard charge from Padgetts Racing duo Bruce Anstey and Conor Cummins as the duo closed in on the outright lap record on the second lap. Disaster would strike for Cummins as his chain broke, forcing him out of the race early on.
However, Hickman put the hammer down as he looked to build a gap, clocking a new outright record lapping the circuit with an average speed of 134.210mph, stretching his lead to over two seconds.
- Shed built: "These tanks are like gold dust so I thought I'd build another"
- MCN Fleet: 5 Ninja 650 learnings in 5000 miles
- Gallery: Battle of the £7k 700s
- Unseen pics & untold tales of the infamous Barry Sheene
- The essential guide to British custom builders
With Hickman clear ahead after lap three, it was the battle for second that would become interesting with Anstey, Dean Harrison and Dan Kneen jostling for position.
Each time they crossed the line a different rider held the runner-up spot, with Kneen heading into the final lap in the crucial spot.
However, it wouldn’t turn out too well for Kneen as he’d get mugged by both Harrison and Anstey on the final lap to eventually finish fourth.
Michael Dunlop, who has struggled on the GSX-R so far this week, crossed the line fifth on the Bennetts Suzuki ahead of Lee Johnston and Derek Sheils. David Johnson finished eighth for Fleetwood Grab Services BMW with Daley Mathison and Dan Cooper rounding out the top ten.
DUNDROD 150 SUPERBIKE RACE RESULT
- Peter Hickman – Smiths BMW
- Dean Harrison – Silicone Engineering Kawasaki +1.943
- Bruce Anstey – Padgetts Racing +2.295
- Dan Kneen – Tyco BMW +2.345
- Michael Dunlop – Bennetts Suzuki +3.357
- Lee Johnston – East Coast Racing BMW +22.994
- Derek Sheils – Cookstown BE Suzuki +23.195
- David Johnson – Fleetwood Grab BMW +23.859
- Daley Mathison – Eddie Stobart BMW +43.920
- Dan Cooper – Dan Cooper Racing BMW +49.736