Michael Rutter returned to the top step of the Vauxhall International North West 200 podium with a convincing victory in sketchy conditions in the second Supertwins race.
The veteran didn’t have it easy however, with Thursday’s race winner Martin Jessopp and Dan Cooper pushing him all the way through the four lap race.
The victory is all the more impressive given Rutter wasn’t even set to race in the 650cc twin class, but the late withdrawal of Hudson Kennaugh opened up an attractive opportunity for the Blade in Ryan Farquhar’s KMR squad.
After leading on the third lap, Cooper, who was involved in the horrific crash with Ryan Farquhar in the twins race this time last year, crossed the line just 0.7 seconds behind Rutter. Jessopp completed the podium.
Michael Sweeney took fourth place ahead of Marty Lennon and James Cowton with Christian Elkin seventh but with a ten second penalty for jumping the start.
Vauxhall North West 200 – Supertwins Race 2 Result
- Michael Rutter – KMR Kawasaki
- Dan Cooper – D Cooper Motorsport +0.697
- Martin Jessopp – Riders Motorcycles Kawasaki +2.114
- Michael Sweeney – Kawasaki +40.420
- Marty Lennon – Kawasaki +40.810
- James Cowton – Kawasaki +41.177
- Christian Elkin – Kawasaki +1:17.900
- Barry Furber - Suzuko +1:28.396
- Kris Duncan - Shirlaw's Motorcycles +1:32.249
- Xavier Denis - Optimark Road Racing +1:32.959
Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.