TT 2018: William Dunlop withdraws from event

1 of 1

William Dunlop has withdrawn from this year’s Isle of Man TT after the second day of practice, with the Temple Golf Club Yamaha rider citing personal reasons for the eleventh-hour decision.

“This is a very difficult decision and not one I have taken lightly, I can only apologise to the team and all of our sponsors but I believe that continuing would be the wrong decision and would not give a true account of either myself or the team. I would like to thank Tim especially for how understanding and supportive he has been over the past few weeks, I obviously feel like I have let him and the team down but they have stood by me throughout. I am going to head home and take some time to recuperate before making a decision on when I will be back on the Temple Yamahas.”

Dunlop also withdrew from Saturday’s races at the North West 200 last week, after a crash in Thursday’s Superstock race left him nursing muscle damage to his back.

Team boss Tim Martin says he’s understanding of the situation though, and says that the target now is getting Dunlop fit again for the Ulster Grand Prix in August.

“Obviously this is extremely disappointing for us as a team and for me personally as I have been looking forward to working with William at the TT for some time. There is no race in the world however where having 100% focus and commitment is more important so it is the correct decision in the end for William. Hopefully after a few weeks off he will come back stronger, we all know what a natural talent he is so having a fit and well William back to fight for wins at the Ulster Grand Prix is now our focus.”

Read the latest stories causing a buzz this week in Sport…

Simon Patterson

By Simon Patterson

MotoGP and road racing reporter, photographer, videographer