Italian Michel Fabrizio became the first man to dip into to the 1m 40s bracket at Kyalami this morning.
The Xerox Ducati rider topped the timesheets at the end of day one and took less than ten laps to significantly better his day one best.
Alstare Suzuki rider Yukio Kagayama is so far the only man to join Fabrizio in the 1m 40’s to go second with American Ben Spies in third and Neukirchner fourth.
Noriyuki Haga is so far having a far better day than yesterday where he crashed three times and currently sits in fifth place with no off track excursions.
Max Biaggi and Shinya Nakano were once again inseparable in terms of lap times, with Biaggi taking the advantage from his Japanese team-mate by less than 0.1 seconds.
Carlos Checa survived a crash late in the morning to move up to eighth. The Spaniard low sided his Ten Kate Honda at turn 12 but the bike picked up when it hit the gravel causing extensive damage.
Jonathan Rea was top Brit in tenth having spent the morning evaluating swing arm links and suspension options.
Tom Sykes made a welcome return to the track following the sickness and flu bug that ruled him out yesterday. Sykes is still suffering and is only able to complete six laps at a time, but has officially recorded a 1m 42.992 second lap. However his team maintain that his transponder is now not working and that he has actually done a 1m 41.9s lap which would be good enough to place him tenth.
1. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) 1m 40.700
2. Yukio Kagayama (Suzuki) 1m 40.980
3. Ben Spies (Yamaha) 1m 41.059
4. Max Neukirchner (Suzuki) 1m 41.106
5. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) 1m 41.603
6. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1m 41.635
7. Shinya Nakano (Aprilia) 1m 41.721
8. Carlos Checa (Honda) 1m 41.776
9. Troy Corser (BMW) 1m 41.986
10. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1m 42.306
11. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda) 1m 42.407
12. Ruben Xaus (BMW) 1m 42.745
13. Tom Sykes (Yamaha) 1m 42.992
In Supersport both Ten Kate men continued their impressive progression with Sofuoglu dipping into the 1m 43’s, which is faster than the South African Superbike lap record. Pitt suffered a crash this morning but has still managed to take 0.4 seconds off his day one best.
1. Kenan Sofuoglu 1m 43.755
2. Andrew Pitt 1m 44.101