Assen WSB: Haslam takes third and second
Haslam looked odds on to finish second, but a late surge from Spies knocked the Derbyshire rider back to third.
Leon Haslam managed to hang onto Spies for several corners, but could not keep up with his pace as the American set his sights on race leader Noriyuki Haga.
Spies passed Haga on the final lap to take the win in race one.
Race one results
1 B Spies USA (Yamaha)
2 N Haga, Japan (Ducati)
3 L Haslam, GB (Honda)
4 T Sykes, GB (Yamaha)
5 M Biaggi, Italy (Aprilia)
6 J Smrz, Czech Republic (Ducati)
7 J Rea, GB (Honda)
8 R Laconi, France (Ducati)
9 M Fabrizio, Italy (Ducati)
10 T Corser, Australia (BMW)
11 S Byrne, GB (Ducati)
12 K Muggeridge, Australia (Suzuki)
13 M Nuekirchner, Germany (Suzuki)
14 R Xaus, Spain (BMW)
15 R Kiyonari, Japan (Honda)
18 S Easton (Kawasaki)
Stiggy Honda rider Leon Haslam continued his good form to take second place in the second WSB race at Assen.
The Brit struggled to pass Xerox Ducati rider Michel Fabrizio for most of the race, but was determined to stick with the factory Ducati rider.
After passing Fabrizio, Haslam was able to ride the rest of the race relatively unchallenged after Jakub Smrz caught Michel Fabrizio.
Smrz was able to capitalise on a last lap mistake made by the Italian to take his first WSB podium.
Xerox Ducati rider Noriyuki Haga took the race win after Ben Spies crashed out of the race on only the second lap.
Race two results
1. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1098R 22 laps
2. Leon Haslam GBR Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR +2.678s
3. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R +4.603s
4. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 8.981s
5. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +12.104s
6. Tom Sykes GBR Yamaha WSB YZF R1 +14.575s
7. Carlos Checa ESP HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +17.449s
8. Shane Byrne GBR Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R +17.729s
9. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 +18.167s
10. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR +26.066s
11. Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR +32.617s
12. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 +32.688s
13. Brendan Roberts AUS Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R +37.415s
14. Matteo Baiocco ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R +55.088
15. Luca Scassa ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +55.325s
16. Regis Laconi FRA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R +1min 18.514s
17. Roland Resch AUT TKR Switzerland Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1min 30.780s
18. Tommy Hill GBR HANNspree Althea Honda CBR1000RR +1 lap
19. Makoto Tamada JPN Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 10 laps completed
20. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 7 laps completed
21. David Checa ESP Yamaha France GMT R1 5 laps completed
22. David Salom ESP Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 5 laps completed
23. Karl Muggeridge AUS Celani Suzuki GSX-R1000 3 laps completed
24. Stuart Easton GBR Kawasaki SRT ZX-0R 3 laps completed
25. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR 1 lap completed
26. Ben Spies USA Yamaha WSB YZF R1 1 lap completed
27. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1 lap completed