Carlos Checa remained at the top of the timesheets during the second qualifying session despite not improving on his lap time. The Althea Ducati rider still posted the fastest time of the session but it just wasn’t as quick as his first qualifying best.
Max Biaggi saved his best until the final two minutes of the session to set the second fastest time of the session. The other big improver was Brit Tom Sykes who powered his Kawasaki to third overall ahead of Sylvan Guintoli.
Jonathan Rea continued to shrug off the effects of his two monster crashes in the last ten days to end the session in fifth place, one spot ahead of Yamaha man Eugene Laverty who failed to improve on his first qualifying best.
Leon Haslam improved in time, but not position and dropped down the order one place to seventh.
James Toseland secured the final place in Superpole in 16th place onboard his BMW Motorrad Italia S1000RR after just beating Leon Camier who ended the day in 17th place.
Just one 1.032 seconds separated the top 16 riders.
1. Carlos Checa1'31.577 (Althea Racing)
2. Max Biaggi1'31.782 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team)
3. Tom Sykes1'31.813 (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike)
4. Sylvain Guintoli1'31.850 (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing)
5. Jonathan Rea1'31.906 (Castrol Honda)
6. Eugene Laverty1'31.969 (Yamaha World Superbike Team)
7. Leon Haslam1'32.023 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
8. Jakub Smrz1'32.066 (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing)
9. Joan Lascorz1'32.085 (Kawasaki Racing Team)
10. Michel Fabrizio1'32.108 (Team Suzuki Alstare)
11. Noriyuki Haga1'32.168 (PATA Racing Team Aprilia)
12. Marco Melandri1'32.237 (Yamaha World Superbike Team)
13. Joshua Waters1'32.413 (Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team)
14. Ruben Xaus1'32.503 (Castrol Honda)
15. Troy Corser1'32.520 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
16. James Toseland1'32.609 (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team)
17. Leon Camier1'32.847 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team)
18. Bryan Staring1'32.883 (Team Pedercini)
19. Maxime Berger1'33.079 (Supersonic Racing Team)
20. Ayrton Badovini1'33.161 (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team)
21. Roberto Rolfo1'33.286 (Team Pedercini)
22. Mark Aitchison1'33.413 (Team Pedercini)