Salom secures maiden pole, Lowes on front row
Motocard Kawasaki man David Salom secured his first ever World Supersport pole position for tomorrows 21 laps race. The Spanish rider has been a contender in all the sessions and timed his run to pole perfectly at the end of the session.
Hannspree Ten Kate Honda rider Fabien Foret had to settle for second position after setting the pace earlier in the weekend and is expected to fight for the win tomorrow.
Sam Lowes continued his seriously impressive transition from British to World Supersport by securing third place and a position on the front row of the grid.
The 20 year old Parkalgar Honda rider said: “I’m really pleased. As a team we’ve worked really hard and this morning I did two pretty long race runs. We’re working a lot on tyre life and from the times we’re doing when the tyre goes off we’re in good shape.
“I’m not the sort of guy that can put in one off fast laps and we saw that last year in BSS when it took me until round nine to get my first pole. The good thing is that whatever time I do in qualifying I can normally match in the race.”
Broc Parkes onboard the second Motocard Kawasaki rounded out the front row of the grid.
Chaz Davies was unhappy with his qualifying performance but the Yamaha man will still line up on the second row of the grid in eighth place. Gino Rea finished the session in 10th with James Ellison in 11th.
Phillip Island - SUPERSPORT - Qualifying 2
1. David Salom1'34.070 (Kawasaki Motocard.com)
2. Fabien Foret1'34.091 (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda)
3. Sam Lowes1'34.504 (Parkalgar Honda)
4. Broc Parkes1'34.548 (Kawasaki Motocard.com)
5. Luca Scassa1'34.635 (Yamaha ParkinGO Team)
6. Roberto Tamburini1'34.931 (Bike Service R.T.)
7. Florian Marino1'34.994 (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda)
8. Chaz Davies1'35.065 (Yamaha ParkinGO Team)
9. Robbin Harms1'35.272 (Harms Benjan Racing Team)
10. Gino Rea1'35.362 (Step Racing Team)
11. James Ellison1'35.480 (Bogdanka PTR Honda)
12. Massimo Roccoli1'35.808 (Lorenzini by Leoni)
13. Danilo Dell'Omo1'35.905 (Suriano Racing Team)
14. Miguel Praia1'35.953 (Parkalgar Honda)
15. Pawel Szkopek1'35.968 (Bogdanka PTR Honda)
16. Vladimir Ivanov1'36.048 (Step Racing Team)
17. Ronan Quarmby1'36.109 (Suriano Racing Team)
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo1'36.146 (Lorenzini by Leoni)
19. Ondrej Jezek1'36.185 (SMS Racing)
20. Alexander Lundh1'36.264 (Cresto Guide Racing Team)
21. Bastien Chesaux1'36.721 (MACH Racing)
22. Mitchell Pirotta1'37.600 (KUJA Racing Team)
23. Imre Toth1'37.631 (Team Hungary Toth)
24. Balazs Nemeth1'38.404 (Team Hungary Toth)
25. Marko Jerman1'38.650 (MD Team Jerman)
26. Luca Marconi1'39.335 (Bike Service R.T.)