Motocard Kawasaki riders Broc Parkes and David Salom stamped their authority on the opening qualifying session at Aragon by securing the first two places on the provisional front row.
Misano race winner, Parkes set a 2.02.773s best having clearly benefited from two day test at the Spanish track earlier this month.
Parkalgar Honda rider Sam Lowes continued his strong run of form to set the third fastest time after making some big set-up changes to his CBR600RR.
He said: “This is Kawasaki’s and Yamaha’s test track and I have to admit that after the first session this morning I was a bit worried because they were so much faster than me. But this afternoon they haven’t really got any faster where as I have. We made some good changes to the bike and we’ve also done laps on an old tyre so we’ve got an idea of how the bike will feel at the end of the race.”
ParkinGo Yamaha rider Chaz Davies was back on the pace in fourth, finishing ahead of team-mate and title rival Luca Scassa.
It was also a positive day for Gino Rea who for the first time in 2011 enjoyed two trouble free sessions without any technical problems.
He said: “It’s been great to just ride the bike without any problems and as a result we’re on the provisional front row and even more importantly we’ve got some good data which means we’ve got something to work with tonight so hopefully we’ll continue to improve tomorrow.”
James Ellison ended the day in 11th place onboard the Bogdanka PTR Honda.
1. Broc Parkes2'02.773 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Kawasaki Motocard.com)
2. David Salom2'03.087 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Kawasaki Motocard.com)
3. Sam Lowes2'03.320 Honda CBR600RR (Parkalgar Honda)
4. Chaz Davies2'03.936 Yamaha YZF R6 (Yamaha ParkinGO Team)
5. Luca Scassa2'03.943 Yamaha YZF R6 (Yamaha ParkinGO Team)
6. Gino Rea2'04.404 Honda CBR600RR (Step Racing Team)
7. Fabien Foret2'04.466 Honda CBR600RR (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda)
8. Massimo Roccoli2'04.503 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lorenzini by Leoni)
9. Roberto Tamburini2'04.705 Yamaha YZF R6 (Bike Service R.T.)
10. Florian Marino2'04.889 Honda CBR600RR (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda)
11. James Ellison2'05.285 Honda CBR600RR (Bogdanka PTR Honda)
12. Miguel Praia2'05.498 Honda CBR600RR (Parkalgar Honda)
13. Vladimir Ivanov2'06.147 Honda CBR600RR (Step Racing Team)
14. Robbin Harms2'06.251 Honda CBR600RR (Harms Benjan Racing Team)
15. Pawel Szkopek2'06.336 Honda CBR600RR (Bogdanka PTR Honda)
16. Alexander Lundh2'06.433 Honda CBR600RR (Cresto Guide Racing Team)
17. Ondrej Jezek2'06.546 Honda CBR600RR (SMS Racing)
18. Roman Stamm2'06.969 Honda CBR600RR (MACH Racing)
19. Vittorio Iannuzzo2'07.003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lorenzini by Leoni)
20. Danilo Dell'Omo2'07.425 Triumph Daytona 675 (Suriano Racing Team)
21. Imre Toth2'07.564 Honda CBR600RR (Team Hungary Toth)
22. Luca Marconi2'07.610 Yamaha YZF R6 (Bike Service R.T.)
23. Marko Jerman2'07.751 Triumph Daytona 675 (MD Team Jerman)
24. Balazs Nemeth2'08.187 Honda CBR600RR (Team Hungary Toth)
25. Yves Polzer2'09.276 Yamaha YZF R6 (Team MRC Austria)
26. Ronan Quarmby2'09.795 Triumph Daytona 675 (Suriano Racing Team)
27. Mitchell Pirotta2'10.421 Honda CBR600RR (KUJA Racing)
28. Oleg Pozdneev2'11.642 Yamaha YZF R6 (RivaMoto)
29. Eduard Blokhin2'11.660 Yamaha YZF R6 (RivaMoto)