MCN Donington WSB: Checa dominates race two
Carlos Checa extended his championship lead with a dominating victory in the second MCN-backed WSB race at Donington Park.
Brit Leon Haslam again got to Redgate corner first, but was unable to stop Checa's charge to the front as he overtook the BMW rider at the Melbourne loop on the third lap.
Haslam was unable to respond and Checa slowly pulled away from the chasing pack to eventually finish 3.3 seconds ahead of Marco Melandri in second. Melandri and Camier both passed Haslam on lap seven, before the BMW rider had an off-track excursion on lap eight, rejoining the race in eighth. Haslam fiished in fourth.
Melandri got a better start this time, placing fourth after the first few laps before setting his sights on Haslam and Leon Camier in second and third.
After Haslam's mistake, Melandri and Camier were left to battle for second, with the pair swapping position several times before the finish.
Reigning champion Max Biaggi jumped the start and was forced to retire on lap nine after he was shown the black flag.
1. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 34'21.537
2. Marco Melandri (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 34'24.934
3. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'27.439
4. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 34'35.379
5. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'35.790
6. Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 34'40.950
7. Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) Suzuki GSX-R1000 34'41.815
8. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 34'42.697
9. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 34'45.835
10. Ruben Xaus (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 34'46.444
11. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 34'53.977
12. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'54.216
13. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 34'55.607
14. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 34'57.955
15. Roberto Rolfo (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'05.574
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'13.949
17. Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 35'18.171
RT. Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'41.588
EX. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 13'50.189