Friday’s pole man Davide Giugliano was unable to improve his lap time but stayed at the top of the time-sheets during second qualifying this morning. Carlos Checa held second place with a slightly improved lap time with fast Brit Tom Sykes improving significantly to take third place.
One of the stand out performances of the session came from championship leader Max Biaggi who put a difficult day behind him yesterday to move from 13th on the grid and into fourth spot.
It was a mixed day for the Fixi Crescent Suzuki riders John Hopkins and Leon Camier. Hopkins defied the odds to secure his best time of the weekend despite rain hitting the Russian track. He set the sixth fastest time of the session to move up to eighth place overall and secure a place in Superpole.
Leon Camier unfortunately was unable to improve on his first day time which saw him crash at over 120mph. He will start tomorrow’s two races from 18th on the grid.
Moscow - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 2
1. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'35.074
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'35.222
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.403
4. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.434
5. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'35.519
6. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.576
7. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'35.772
8. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'35.827
9. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'35.903
10. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.940
11. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'35.980
12. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'35.989
13. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.061
14. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.104
15. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'36.143
16. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.174
17. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'36.182
18. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'36.237
19. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'36.326
20. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.163
21. David McFadden (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.372