Magny Cours WSB: Tom Sykes on top in first qualifying
In perfect sunny conditions Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes set the fastest time of the first 45 minute qualifying session, with a 1.38.200. Althea Ducati’s Carlos Checa joins him on the provisional front row followed by an injured Marco Melandri third with Checa’s team mate Davide Giugliano rounding off the front row.
Championship leader Max Biaggi was seventh, followed by Haslam in eight. The hard-nail Brit is still unable to brake with his index finger after damaging it in the first free practice on Friday morning after a high-side on lap three.
Chaz Davis suffered a disastrous start to his weekend, missing the first practice session due to a mechanical problem, but despite the setback the ParkinGO Aprilia rider battled his way up to 16th.
He said: “I’m one session behind the rest and tried a little too hard that session and was missing brake points, need to be smoother and get in the flow”.
Second qualifying practice starts 9:45 local time Saturday 6th Oct
Magny-Cours - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.200
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'38.648
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'38.742
4. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'38.962
5. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'39.014
6. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.139
7. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'39.144
8. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.149
9. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'39.186
10. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'39.285
11. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'39.382
12. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.530
13. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'39.709
14. Maxime Berger (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'39.842
15. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'39.945
16. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.084
17. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'40.538
18. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'40.631
19. Claudio Corti (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'40.860
20. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'41.535
21. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.990