Frenchman Jules Cluzel did everything he possibly could to keep his title hopes alive by winning the Portimao race, but the day ultimately belonged to Kenan Sofuoglu who by finishing second and secured his third World Supersport crown of his illustrious career.
Sofuoglu said: “I knew I only had to finish fourth even if Cluzel won the race, but on the last two laps I realised I could at least finish on the podium so I opened the throttle some more. It is a great feeling to win the championship again and I am so happy to do it here at Portimao because I could not handle the stress of having to wait another two weeks until Magny Cours!”
By winning his third title, Sofuoglu became the most successful rider in World Supersport history in terms of race and championship wins.
Jules Cluzel victory almost guarantees him runner-up spot in the overall championship standings as the series rookie now holds a 25 point advantage over fellow countryman Fabien Foret with just one round to go.
He said: “I’m very happy to win the race but it was not easy. This track is very physical and I made a lot of mistakes.”
Third place went to Fabien Foret with Broc Parkes fourth and Brit Sam Lowes in fifth.
Fellow Brits Dan Linfoot and Martin Jessopp claimed seventh and 22nd places respectively.
Portimao - FIM Supersport World Championship - Race
1. Jules Cluzel (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 36'05.886
2. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'06.531
3. Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'06.855
4. Broc Parkes (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 36'06.921
5. Sam Lowes (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 36'09.791
6. Sheridan Morais (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'11.822
7. Dan Linfoot (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'28.441
8. Alex Baldolini (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 36'28.481
9. Ronan Quarmby (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 36'29.007
10. Mathew Scholtz (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 36'29.626
11. Massimo Roccoli (Team PATA by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 36'30.402
12. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 36'31.495
13. Andrea Antonelli (Bike Service R.T.) Yamaha YZF R6 36'31.503
14. Jed Metcher (Rivamoto Junior Team) Yamaha YZF R6 36'31.805
15. Gabor Talmacsi (PRORACE) Honda CBR600RR 36'33.553
16. Florian Marino (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'33.555
17. Miguel Praia (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 36'36.132
18. Valentin Debise (SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 36'36.470
19. Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'36.653
20. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 36'37.979
21. Balazs Nemeth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 36'58.147
22. Martin Jessopp (Riders PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 37'19.289
23. Sergey Vlasov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 37'19.485
24. Danilo Marrancone (KUJA Racing) Honda CBR600RR 37'24.884
25. Axel Maurin (Team GOELEVEN) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'13.995
RT. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Yamaha YZF R6 30'26.608
RT. Adrian Pasek (Bogdanka Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 27'03.196
RT. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 24'29.637
RT. Luca Marconi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 17'23.258
RT. Dino Lombardi (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 14'59.100
RT. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Yamaha YZF R6 10'12.472
RT. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 1'53.808
RT. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR