WSB Aragon: UK riders dominate in superpole
Tom Sykes looked to continue his 2012 superpole record as he took pole position for tomorrow’s WSB races under the Spanish sun, leading out Eugene Laverty and Chaz Davies for the front row.
France control the second row with Sylvain Guintoli fourth, Jules Cluzel fifth and Loris Baz sixth.
The session was led early on by Laverty, but Sykes wrestled control away and maintain it for Q2 and Q3.
Q2 saw former champion Carlos Checa dropped. Checa, who crashed heavily at a go-kart media event on Thursday, is rumoured to have exacerbated damage to his ribs caused in a crash at the last round in Phillip Island.
A last lap charge by Davies (making it over the line only a second before the flag went out) looked to see him improve before a small mistake ran him wide and aborted the lap.
Jonathan Rea, a surprise third in free practice, lost out in SP3 after a broken wheel speed sensor interfered with the bike’s electronics, causing him to pit and not have time to squeeze in a final flying lap.
Aragon - FIM Superbike World Championship - Superpole 3
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'56.339
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'56.638
3. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'56.845
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'57.486
5. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'57.540
6. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'57.869
7. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'57.975
8. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'58.268
9. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 2'01.613
10. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'58.326
11. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'58.329
12. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'59.993
13. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'59.475
14. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'59.478
15. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'01.029
16. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'59.379
17. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'00.979
18. Ivan Clementi (HTM Racing) BMW S1000 RR 2'02.140
19. Mark Aitchison (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 2'02.554
20. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'03.201