Jerez WSS: Lowes leads first qualifying
New WSS Champion Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha) celebrated his championship success by going fastest in first qualifying at the final race of the year, with his team-mate Vladimir Leonov a surprise second fastest.
WSS legend Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Mahi Racing Team India) slotted in third in warm and dry conditions, to set up a strong final round fight with Lowes.
Both Lowes and Sofuoglu have five race wins to their credit this year and personal pride will ensure that they each go all out to take a sixth and put one over their rival before Lowes leaves for Moto2.
Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) headed off Roberto Rolfo’s MV Agusta F3 675 triple for fourth place on the overnight grid.
Sixth was WSS old stager Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini Yamaha) with official Pata Honda rider Michael van Der Mark crashing out and losing provisional grid places as a result, finishing up seventh.
Relative WSS newcomer Danny Webb (PTR Honda) made a good early start at a track he knows well in ninth, Kevin Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC Lorenzini) was tenth and Christian Iddon (ParkinGO MV Agusta F3) was 11th. Final qualifying takes place on Saturday.
Jerez - FIM Supersport World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 1'44.043
2. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 1'44.269
3. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'44.549
4. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 1'44.701
5. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 1'44.780
6. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 1'44.907
7. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 1'44.930
8. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 1'44.965
9. Danny Webb (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'44.973
10. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.093
11. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 1'45.211
12. David Salom (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.255
13. Sheridan Morais (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.291
14. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 1'45.315
15. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 1'45.425
16. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 1'45.444
17. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.544
18. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.575
19. Ronan Quarmby (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR 1'45.702
20. Alex Baldolini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 1'45.927
21. Matthieu Lagrive (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.957
22. Lee Johnston (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 1'46.375
23. Marco Faccani (Evan Bros R. by S.M.A. Honda I) Honda CBR600RR 1'46.479
24. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'46.980
25. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.043
26. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.046
27. Corey Alexander (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.350
28. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.381
29. Alexey Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'48.885
30. Brodie Waters (AARK Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'49.017
31. Fraser Rogers (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'49.288
32. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 1'50.137