Jerez WSB: Laverty takes second career pole
Aprilia rider Eugene Laverty gave his championship hope a boost today by taking pole position for tomorrow's two races at Jerez.
Aprilia has dominated all previous sessions, but championship leader Tom Sykes distrupted the domination by setting the second fastest time. Davide Giugliano completes the front row in third.
GoldBet BMW rider Marco Melandri heads the second row ahead of the Aprilias of Sylvain Guintoli and Toni Elias who fell in the final superpole session.
Laverty said: "My plan coming into this weekend was to do everything I can so getting pole today is a good start. I'm not going to give up until Tom's lifting the title above his head.
"Tomorrow I need to win both races and I want to make sure that I take the title to race two because by doing that it increases the opportunity of misfortune for my rivals."
Sykes added: "Today has gone well. It's a fine balance knowing how hard to push but to end up on the front row is good. I'm confident in the settings that we dialed in during second Free Practice and the bike feels good apart from my little crash. I'm feeling happy, relaxed and looking forward to tomorrow."
1. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.620
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'40.668
3. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.839
4. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'40.930
5. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.958
6. Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'41.347
7. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'41.837
8. Xavi Fores (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'42.215
9. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'42.500
10. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.015
11. Broc Parkes (Monster Energy Yamaha - Yart) Yamaha YZF R1 1'42.056
12. Lorenzo Lanzi (Mesaroli Transports A.S.) Ducati 1098R 1'42.300
13. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'42.438
14. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'42.916
15. Michel Fabrizio (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.081
16. Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.933
17. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'42.973
18. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.976
19. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'43.289
20. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.232