Tom Sykes has taken the race one victory at Nurburgring, winning the race from second place behind Marco Melandri after huge crashes for Jonathan Rea and Leon Camier on the second last lap.
Sykes had led the race from the first lap, pulling away from Melandri and Chaz Davies to lead the race comfortably from the front. However, in the closing laps, the BMW pair were able to close down the gap, bringing Jonathan Rea with them to challenge for the lead.
Melandri managed to make it through on lap nineteen to lead, but a massive crash for Jonathan Rea followed seconds later by an identical crash from Leon Camier brought out the red flags. Their fast crashes were caused by oil left by the exploding Kawasaki of Sandi.
Sylvain Guintoli was promoted to fourth, after battling with Davide Guigliano and Michel Fabrizio. Leon Haslam was seventh, with Jules Cluzel eighth.
Eugene Laverty was the last finisher in fifteenth, after crashing early in the race while battling with Rea and Haslam. He then pitted for new tyres before finishing two laps down.
Sykes said afterwards: "It's been a good day for us so far. The red flag went out at a good time for me, but it would have been a fantastic last few laps for everyone! The BMW boys have had their Weetabix this morning, and they kept me honest all race. We need to improve the bike for race two, but it'll be another big battle out there."
Nurburgring - FIM Superbike World Championship - Race 1
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 32'38.184
2. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 32'38.453
3. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 32'38.898
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 32'44.611
5. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 32'46.710
6. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 32'51.418
7. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 32'52.002
8. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 32'56.910
9. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 32'59.233
10. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 33'00.958
11. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 33'11.468
12. Matej Smrz (Yamaha Motor Deutschland) Yamaha YZF R1 33'26.513
13. Markus Reiterberger (Vanzon-Remeha-BMW) BMW S1000 RR 33'26.811
14. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 34'10.714
15. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 32'59.271
RT. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 32'39.160
RT. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 32'44.861
RT. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 33'18.214
RT. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 25'41.089