Haslam scores big on day one of Jerez test
Leon Haslam (Red Devils Aprilia) opened his 2015 test account with the best time of all in setting a 1’43.4 lap, despite not trying for ultimate performance in iffy track conditions after overnight rain.
After persistent rain made the track fully wet again in the afternoon Haslam also found positives in his bike set-up and finished day one in a more than positive mood.
“I am peaking,” said Haslam. “I am very happy that we got to try things in semi-dry and full wet. The next step for me is to explore just a little bit more on the chassis side to get it suited a little bit more for me. With electronics we have a few things to try on the engine braking side but the engine delivery and traction control I am really happy with. No dramas or moments but there were still a few patches so it was all about missing them. I caught a few but nothing too dangerous. I was quite cautions with that today and I was happy with my first time on the bike.“
Behind Haslam many new bike and rider combinations shared the circuit in both nearly dry and fully wet conditions, with Michael van der Mark having his first ride alongside reigning champion and new Pata Honda rider Sylvain Guintoli.
Randy De Puniet took to his Voltcom Crescent Suzuki to a strong lap scoring total in the changeable conditions, while Nico Terol (Althea Racign Ducati) had his first chance to test the full 2015 Ducati after testing the Evo version last week in Valencia.
Tom Sykes and Jonathan Rea were both testing for KRT at Jerez on day one, with Rea fastest of the riders to have transponders on their machines. Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) used a 2015 spec machine to go second fastest rider with a transponder, but sixth overall.
The Jerez tests continue all week, with new team joining as the week progresses and some finishing earlier then others.
MONDAY TEST TIMES – Jerez
1. Leon Haslam (GB), Aprilia WSB, 1:43.4 min
2. Michel Fabrizio (I), Aprilia WSB, 1:43.8
3. Matteo Baiocco (I), Ducati WSB, 1:44.4
4. Jonathan Rea (GB), Kawasaki WSB, 1:44.643
5. Leandro Mercado (ARG), Ducati WSB, 1:45.2
6. Alex Lowes (GB), Suzuki WSB, 1:45.340
7. Michael van der Mark (NL), Honda WSB, 1:45.472
8. Nico Terol (E), Ducati WSB, 1:45.8
9. Tom Sykes (GB), Kawasaki WSB, 1:45.836
10. Raffaele De Rosa (I), Ducati STK, 1:46.092
11. Kenan Sofuoglu (TR), Kawasaki (WSS), 1:46.202
12. Randy de Puniet (F), Suzuki WSB, 1:46.317
13. Sylvain Guintoli (F) Honda WSB 1:47.650
14. Luca Savadori (I), Ducati STK, 1:48.365.