Thailand WSB: Rea way out front early on
At the new WSB venue of Chang International Circuit in Thailand Jonathan Rea (KRT) topped the opening timesheets with ease after an extra long 75-minute practice session, taking his Ninja ZX-10R to a best lap of 1’35.004.
He was 0.751 seconds ahead of his team-mate Tom Sykes, with Kawasaki having an apparent early advantage at a circuit new to everyone in the paddock.
Next fastest in third place – a full second behind Rea – was Jordi Torres (Aprilia Racing Red Devils) with Chaz Davies running his official Aruba.it Racing Ducati to fourth. Alex Lowes (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) put in a fifth place ride while Phillip Island race two winner Leon Haslam (Aprilia Racing Red Devils) made fundamental chassis changes in his first session and finished sixth fastest.
Opening weekend star Michael van der Mark was top Honda rider in the first session, in seventh place. After a huge crash in Superpole at Phillip Island, David Salom (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) made a good recovery and was eighth of the 26 riders at Chang.
Returnee WSB legend Troy Bayliss (Aruba.it Ducati WSB) placed 14th. A second Friday practice session for the entire WSB class takes place later in the afternoon.
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 35.004s
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 35.755s
3. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 36.004s
4. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 36.054s
5. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 36.147s
6. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 36.206s
7. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.218s
8. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 36.252s
9. Leandro Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 36.354s
10. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.425s
11. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 36.478s
12. Randy de Puniet FRA Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 36.641s
13. Nico Terol ESP Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 36.733s
14. Troy Bayliss AUS Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 36.909s
15. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR 1m 36.940s
16. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 37.006s
17. Niccolo Canepa ITA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 38.250s
18. Anucha Nakcharoensri THA YSS TS Honda CBR1000RR 1m 38.559s
19. Larry Pegram USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 38.772s
20. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 38.930s
21. Christophe Ponsson LUX Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 39.191s
22. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 40.393s
23. Greg Gildenhuys RSA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 40.453s
24. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 41.625s
25. Chanon Chumjai THA RAC Oil BMW S1000RR 1m 41.739s
26. Ireneusz Sikora POL Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 42.766s