Day of Champions raises £194,577
Day of Champions raises £194,577!
10 June 2011 12:16
Riders for Health charity effort Day of Champions managed to raise £194,577 in just one day with £63,830 being raised in the four-hour live auction held at Silverstone yesterday.
Day of Champions is the annual money raising day held by Rider for Health at the British MotoGP round. This was the second time the event had been held at the Silverstone circuit. Money raised is used to pay for motorcycles, training and maintenance on a fleet of motorcycles in Africa to help with medical treatment in remote areas.
Bosses at Riders for Health is stunned at the amount of cash raised and have extended thanks to everyone who helped out with the money raising.
Obviously the biggest interest in the live auction came from items donated by seven-times World Champion Valentino Rossi with the nine items donated by him raising £13,800 alone. The biggest value item was an opportunity for a painting of the winning bidder done from a photograph with Rossi which raised £4700 alone.
A list of other auction items included:
- Colin Edwards leathers: £3,300
- Suzuki MotoGP package with ride with Alvaro Bautista on his scooter: £3,100
- Jorge Lorenzo boots: £1,000
- Valentino Rossi’s cap from the previous two rounds: £1,300<
- The winners painting with Valentino Rossi: £4,700
- Track day with Bradley Smith: £1,500
- Gigi Soldano’s artwork of all of the 2011 MotoGP riders: £2,100
- MotoGP grid passes: £2,200
- A day following MotoGP photographer Andrew Northcott: £2,000
In total Rossi's auction items raised: £13,000