Phillip Island WSB: Haslam claims maiden victory in race 1
28 February 2010 08:31
A photo finish was need to confirm Brit Leon Haslam's first ever World Superbike victory in race 1 at Philip Island today.
The Team Suzuki Alstare rider finished just 0.004secs ahead of Ducati Xerox rider Michel Fabrizio. Haslam said: "It's not sunk in just yet, especially as it was such a close finish. I changed my style towards the end and I rode as smoothly as possible. It worked."
Third place went to Fabrizio's team mate Nori Haga and Brit Jonathan Rea finished fourth for the Ten Kate Honda team.
Fellow brits and Yamaha Sterilgarda team mates James Toseland and Cal Crutchlow both crashed out of the race early on.
1. Leon Haslam GBR Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 34mins 13.435s 22 laps
2. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1198 +0.004s
3. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1198 +0.769s
4. Jonathan Rea GBR Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +10.201s
5. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 +10.782s
6. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 +11.079s
7. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1198 +11.208s
8. Jakub Smrz CZE PATA B&G Racing Ducati 1198 +16.522s
9. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR +20.291s
10. Lorenzo Lanzi ITA DFX Ducati 1198 +26.352s
11. Leon Camier GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 +29.775s
12. Max Neukirchner GER Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +30.155s
13. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R +31.951s
14. Shane Byrne GBR Althea Ducati 1198 +31.957s
15. Andrew Pitt AUS Reitwagen BMW S1000RR +55.082s
16. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR +1min 10.932s
17. Matteo Baiocco ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1min 11.237s
18. Roger Lee Hayden USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1min 17.357s
19. Joshua Brookes AUS Echo-CRS Honda CBR1000RR +6 laps
20. Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda YZF R1 5 laps completed
21. Chris Vermeulen AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 3 laps completed
22. James Toseland GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda YZF R1 2 laps completed
Did Not Start
Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR
Roland Resch AUT Reitwagen BMW S1000RR