Sykes too his first WSB victory at the Nürburgring
Nürburgring WSB: Sykes takes first victory
04 September 2011 15:25
Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) took his first WSB victory, and Kawasaki's first win since 2006, at a rain-soaked Nürburgring in race two.
Noriyuki Haga (Pata Aprilia) had led the majority of the race, before crashing out and handing the lead to Sykes. When torrential rain struck race direction called the second race, placing Sykes in first, with Effenbert Liberty Racing Ducati team mates Sylvain Guintoli and Jakub Smrz taking second and third respectively.
Despite suffering a crash, Castrol Honda rider Jonathan Rea was able to rejoin the race to take fourth, finishing ahead of Yamaha World Superbike team mates Eugene Laverty and Marco Melandri in fifth and sixth.
Championship leader Carlos Checa took eighth, behind Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia) in seventh.
1. Tom Sykes Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike Kawasaki ZX-10R 29'49.337
2. Sylvain Guintoli Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 29'53.400
3. Jakub Smrz Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 30'12.096
4. Jonathan Rea Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 30'17.834
5. Eugene Laverty Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 30'27.711
6. Marco Melandri Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 30'34.663
7. Ayrton Badovini BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team BMW S1000 RR 30'36.367
8. Carlos Checa Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 30'39.369
9. Leon Haslam BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 30'42.923
10. Maxime Berger Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 30'44.598
11. Joan Lascorz Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 31'02.142
12. Troy Corser BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 31'04.805
13. Roberto Rolfo Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 31'29.660
RT. Noriyuki Haga PATA Racing Team Aprilia Aprilia RSV4 Factory 27'12.450
RT. Makoto Tamada Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 28'49.186
RT. Leon Camier Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 25'20.427
RT. Mark Aitchison Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 23'13.507
RT. James Toseland BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team BMW S1000 RR 18'52.995
RT. Michel Fabrizio Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 12'20.292