Imola WSB: Checa wins race two as Rea retires
25 September 2011 15:05
Althea Ducati rider Carlos Checa moved to within a whisker of securing his first World Superbike championship with victory in race two at Imola after Jonathan Rea suffered a mechanical problem while leading the race.
Checa leads championship rival Marco Melandri by 97 points going into the final two rounds, as Melandri finished sixth, despite running off track.
Rea again dominated the race, moving to the front right from the start. Rea was leading by three seconds from Checa with five laps to go when he slowed and let Checa passed. Rea looked to then pick up the pace, but it was clear there was a problem with his Castrol Honda Fireblade, forcing the Irishman to retire.
PATA Aprilia rider Noriyuki Haga took second place again after a poor start. Factory Aprilia rider Leon Camier took the final step on the podium - a great result for the Brit after he struggled in race one, finishing 15th.
Eugene Laverty and Leon Haslam made it three Brits in the top five, finishing fourth and fifth respevtively.
1. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 38'04.538
2. Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'09.169
3. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 38'19.697
4. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 38'21.733
5. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 38'21.926
6. Marco Melandri (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 38'23.071
7. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 38'24.153
8. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 38'24.601
9. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 38'28.732
10. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 38'33.023
11. Ruben Xaus (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 38'33.138
12. Federico Sandi (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 38'46.340
13. Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 38'59.288
14. Javier Fores (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 39'16.819
RT. Alessandro Polita (Barni Racing Team S.N.C.) Ducati 1098R 34'46.265
RT. Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 30'54.319
RT. Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) Suzuki GSX-R1000 18'19.929
RT. Matteo Baiocco (Barni Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 16'36.970
RT. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 16'38.950
RT. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) Kawasaki ZX-10R 13'01.813
RT. Roberto Rolfo (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 3'48.126
RT. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'56.223