Assen WSB: Sykes takes third pole in a row
21 April 2012 15:02
Brit Tom Sykes has made it three pole positions from three, setting the fastest time in tricky conditions during superpole at Assen today.
Superpole was run under wet conditions, meaning there were only two sessions instead of the usual three. Only the top eight riders went through to superpole 2.
The second session was almost completely dry, allowing Sykes to set the fastest time of the weekend and get within half a second of the track best.
Factory Honda rider Jonathan Rea will start from second on the grid ahead of Jakub Smrz and Sylvain Guintoli who set the fastest time in superpole 1.
Current champion Carlos Checa will start from the front of the second row in fifth, ahead of BMW Motorrad Italia rider Michel Fabrizio, Leon Haslam and John Hopkins.
Surprise absentees from superpole 2 included Marco Melandri, Leon Camier and Eugene Laverty. Camier crashed during free practice, while Laverty crashed his factory Aprilia in the closing stages of superpole 1.
Max Biaggi failed to make superpole after getting caught out by the wet conditions during yesterday's qualifying session.
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.399
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.432
3. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1'36.566
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'36.875
5. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'37.156
6. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'37.311
7. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'37.592
8. John Hopkins (Crescent Fixi Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'37.913
9. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'40.516
10. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'40.523
11. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.627
12. Leon Camier (Crescent Fixi Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'40.681
13. Brett McCormick (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1'41.962
14. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.947
15. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'44.022
16. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.500
17. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'40.231
18. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'40.859
19. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'41.161
20. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'41.693
21. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'41.768
22. Mark Aitchison (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.144
23. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'50.808