Phillip Island WSB: Checa bounces back to win race two
26 February 2012 07:36
World Superbike champion Carlos Checa won the second race at Phillip Island after a high-side in the first race.
Checa bounced back from his first race misery to put an a dominating performance, finishing 5.7secs ahead of the rest of the field.
First race winner Max Biaggi was arguably the star of the second race after running off track at the very first corner.
The 2010 world champion finished the first lap in 21st place, and remarkably managed to fight his way through the entire pack to finish second.
Biaggi leaves Phillip Island at the top of the championship on 45 points.
Tom Sykes continued the good form he has shown during testing by securing his first dry weather podium in third place onboard his Kawasaki after a last lap battle with fellow Brit Jonathan Rea.
Leon Haslam, who cracked his right tibia earlier in the week made it three Brits in the top five with a heroic ride to fifth place, beating team-mate Marco Melandri who finished sixth.
Fellow Brits Eugene Laverty and Leon Camier finished eighth and 12th respectively.
1. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R +22 laps
2. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 +5.707s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +12.521s
4. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda WSBK CBR1000RR +12.655s
5. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR +18.179s
6. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR +18.831s
7. Maxime Berger FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R +18.939s
8. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 +19.478s
9. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda WSBK CBR1000RR +19.554s
10. Niccolo Canepa ITA Red Devils Ducati 1098R +26.289s
11. Jakub Smrz CZE Liberty Effenbert Ducati 1098R +26.479s
12. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 +29.145s
13. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R +36.482s
14. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R +38.113s
15. Josh Brookes AUS Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 +43.234s
16. Bryan Staring AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +43.526s
17. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Pro Ride Honda CBR1000RR +53.929s
18. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 11 laps completed
19. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 10 laps completed
20. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 9 laps completed
21. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 8 laps completed
22. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 4 laps completed
23. David Johnson AUS Rossair AEP BMW S1000RR 4 laps completed
24. Mark Aitchison AUS Grillini Progea BMW S1000RR 1 lap completed