Aragon WSB Race Two; Melandri wins epic race two battle from Laverty and Davies
01 July 2012 17:02
BMW Motorrad rider Marco Melandri rode a stunning race to finally come out on top of an intense four rider battle for the win in race two at Aragon today. The 28 year old had to use every piece of his extensive race craft to ultimately take victory – a result which moves him up to second in the overall championship standings.
Second place went to Aprilia man Eugene Laverty who after a disappointing race one showed once again that he could run at the very front of the class. The 25 year old Irishman led for large parts of the race and looked capable of winning but was passed by Melandri on the final lap.
Chaz Davies secured his first ever WSB podium with a brilliant ride that saw him hunt down and catch Melandri, Laverty and Max Biaggi. In the final laps he got into the fight and made a good account of himself to beat Biaggi after running as high as second.
After winning race one, Biaggi had to consolidate himself with fourth in race two, but he leaves Aragon with a commanding 48 point lead.
Jonathan Rea bounced back from his crash in race one to finish an impressive fifth in race two after a tough battle with Leon Haslam, Tom Sykes, Carlos Checa and Davide Giugliano.
Leon Haslam finished in sixth place despite problems with engine push on the way into the corners with Tom Sykes in eighth.
Leon Camier was running in contention for the top ten, but was forced to retire with an engine failure.
Aragon - FIM Superbike World Championship - Race 2
1. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 39'59.200
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 39'59.242
3. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 39'59.646
4. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 39'59.684
5. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 40'05.811
6. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 40'06.691
7. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 40'08.525
8. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'09.644
9. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 40'10.028
10. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 40'10.125
11. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 40'21.155
12. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 40'21.246
13. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 40'21.686
14. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 40'42.001
15. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 40'48.344
16. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 40'50.161
17. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 41'00.063
18. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 41'13.349
19. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 41'52.588
20. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 41'37.232
RT. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 35'03.915
RT. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 6'11.966