WSB Moscow: Sykes crashes out, Giugliano on pole.
20 July 2013 13:00
Despite leading the qualifying times in all of the previous sessions, Tom sykes crashed out of Superpole three in Moscow, leaving him unable to complete a lap, and forcing him to start back in ninth place on the grid; his lowest starting position since 2011.
This left Davide Giugliano to claim is first ever pole position - despite the Althea Racing man posting a lap slower than that of Syke's in the previous session.
BMW Motorrad GoldBet's Chaz Davies managed to post his first, front-row start since his double-winning weekend in Aragon - finishing in second just in front of Eugene Laverty.
Laverty's teammate and Syke's closest competitor in the Championship, Sylvain Guintoli has been struggling all weekend with a shoulder injury and will start just one place in front of Sykes in eight on the grid for the races on Sunday.
Moscow - FIM Superbike World Championship - Superpole 3
1. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'34.676
2. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'34.833
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'34.934
4. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'35.058
5. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'35.115
6. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'35.220
7. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'35.256
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'36.113
9. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'34.546
10. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'35.761
11. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'35.788
12. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.033
13. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.069
14. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'36.286
15. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'36.329
16. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.048
17. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.079
18. Lorenzo Savadori (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'39.504