Leon Camier has topped the timesheets on day one at Silverstone
Silverstone British Superbikes: Strong start for Leon Camier
26 September 2008 12:33
Leon Camier has topped the opening Free Practice session of the penultimate BSB weekend at Silverstone this morning.
Camier, who won in race one at Croft a fortnight ago, continued his resurgence in the British Superbike Championship with a best lap of 1.26.927 – the only rider this morning to go under the 1.27 bracket.
Camier’s time came on his 18th of 24 laps and was good enough to split himself from Cal Crutchlow in second by over a tenth of a second.
Shane Byrne, who is looking to tie up the BSB crown on Sunday, and Leon Haslam made sure it would be an HM Plant Honda and Airwaves Ducati front row.
Michael Rutter put the third of the factory Ducati’s into fifth, less than half a second off the best time by Camier.
Before heading out for the first session Camier said: “Although I was disappointed not to have got on to the podium in the second race, winning race one at Croft was a huge confidence boost so I’m really looking forward to Silverstone and hopefully getting back on the top step of the podium.
”Until we get some laps under our belt I’m not too sure how the Airwaves Ducati will work around there but I know that the whole of the Airwaves Ducati team will work hard to give me the best possible package come race day.”
Tom Sykes, Karl Harris and Tristan Palmer rounded off a provisional second row,
BRITISH SUPERBIKE FREE PRACTICE 1 RESULTS
1. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 1.26.927
2. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 1.27.068
3. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 1.27.081
4. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 1.27.165
5. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 1.27.365
6. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 1.27.426
7. Karl Harris Rob Mac Racing Yamaha 1.27.496
8. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 1.28.086
9. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 1.28.260
10. Jason O’Halloran SMT Honda 1.28.499
11. Gary Mason Quay Garage Honda 1.28.811
12. Simon Andrews Lloyds British Jentin Yamaha 1.29.223
13. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.29.305
14. Peter Hickman Red Viper Racing Honda 1.29.305
15. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 1.29.469
16. Billy McConnell MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.29.506