DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 (2010-on) Review

Published: 08 July 2010

"Base model of Ducati's brilliant Multistrada range, without radical electronically adjustable suspenion"

Ducati Multistrada 1200

• £12,850

With the world united on the brilliance of Ducati’s Multistrada 1200 S-models, the arrival of the two base model Multistradas have slipped under the radar and into the UK. Whereas the S-models are topped off with electronically adjusted Ohlins suspension and carbon parts on the S-sport, panniers on S-Touring, the base models have manually adjustable Marzocchi forks and Sachs rear shock. One of these has ABS and the very basic Multistrada doesn’t. Both bikes have the detuned sports 1198 V-twin motor, which is reason enough in our book to buy one. As for Ducati’s revolutionary ‘riding mode’ system seen on the S-models, the base models still get adjustable power delivery and traction control at the flick of a switch between ‘Sport’, ‘Touring’, ‘Urban’ and ‘Enduro’ modes.

No electronically adjustable Ohlins here, but what you do get is a meaty set of 50mm fully adjustable Marzocchi forks and Sachs rear shock. For everyday use the forks are good enough for the majority of UK roads. Any adjustment to be made would be purely for the rider’s style of riding and luggage/pillion duties. The same can be said for the rear shock. Ok, so the suspension isn’t as refined as the Ohlins set up, or as easy and as quick to adjust, but for the majority of owners it is perfectly acceptable.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200’s new Testastretta 11º motor is based on 1198 V-twin but with reduced valve overlap for a softer, meatier delivery and has a host of mods including wet, slipper clutch, new Mikuni ride-by-wire to allow riding modes, and softer compression. Main benefit is smoother delivery, while reduced top end poke (peak power is now 150bhp instead of the 1198S’s 180) is still more than enough to dust ‘adventure bike’ rivals. Doubling of valve service intervals to 15,000 miles is a further benefit.

Ducati is getting better all the time and the Multistrada 1200 is the latest proof. Service intervals are now up to and impressive 15,000 miles and generally it’s well built.

Full marks here because both models perform with the same level of versatility as the Multistrada S-model to give the same grin factor (massive). The non-ABS model lists at £10,995, which makes it a cheap 150bhp modern Ducati. Find a Ducati Multistrada 1200 for sale.

Insurance group: 17 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

Despite the lower price, and the fact one of the base models doesn’t have ABS, both models still get adjustable traction control, slipper clutch, adjustable screen, high/low seat options, single-sided swing-arm, power delivery riding modes, and a fully digitised LCD display console. The subframe on both bikes retains the fixing points for the S-Touring’s panniers, which can be bought separately for approx £578. Likewise a centrestand. Compare and buy parts for the Multistrada in the MCN Shop.

5 owners have reviewed their DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 (2010-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Multistrada 1200 S Touring

31 August 2010 by wharvey

Got bike 2 weeks ago - very tight engine when new but after just 500 miles it has become very much smoother on tickover and at riding speed. I've had a few GS's - they were great also but carry unecessary weight for mainstream use - they had more... Read more rubust luggage kit though. Thats where the GS advantage stops - The Multi is very much more agile - surprisingly easy on fuel - and biggest surprise to me ... in two up touring mode the suspension system definitely out performs the GS suspension comfort - I could hardly believe what I experienced. Regards power - it really is awesome - makes the boxer seem somewhat retro in performance. I still admire the boxer engine format. Handling in corners - first new bike I've scratched the pegs on after just 200 miles - it handles! Don't get me wrong I like BMW quality but they better wake up - Ducati bikes are no longer 2nd best on mechanics or electrical. I owned a 1098S for 3 years - never one problem with it - I hope the Multi exhibits the same reliabilty. Overall opinion - it is expensive but I believe it really sets the standard by which BMW for a change can compare themselves against in this particular model range. I admire the BMW GS but I have to say in all honesty Ducati really has set the cat amongst the pigeons with this bike. Sorry BMW.

Multistrada 1200 S

05 August 2010 by Talal

I've been riding for the last 26 years and I must admit, Ducati got it right... at least for the target market I fall in. This is truly a beautiful bike to begin with; the attention to detail really leaves you speechless, especially when another... Read more trademark stands next to it. I come from a super sport background and I found the Multistrada S to fit my needs perfectly. I ride mostly in Sport mode (150hp at hand is more than I used to have on my 1987 1100 GSXR or 1988 FZR or 2003 750 GSXR etc.), but I sit so comfortably and if I take my girlfriend along, I still enjoy the ride with no extra aching wrists and back... I find it so easy and amazing to press the button and have the suspension automatically adjust to riding mode and extra passenger, luggage etc... and it also adjusts ABS and Ducati Traction Control “DCT” to every riding mode or to my own programming if I want to… truly amazing… The key argument I guess to this bike is: It is not the very best at each thing it tries to do (sports, urban, enduro, touring mode, but it sure comes close, so you don't feel like you are sacrificing in any one category so much that it defeats the purpose of owning the Multistrada, in the contrary it truly makes you feel you have the best of all... Which brings you back to the famous "Value" question: I have no doubt the Multistrada S is worth every penny I spent on it. The calculation is easy: to get the same amount of bike, you'll have to buy 2 or 3 bikes which will all be poorly finished in comparison and if you try to get the best of each segment, you'll pay much more, and there will still be lots of arguments to throw on the table.... I have absolutely no complaints so far on the ride & handling segment, the bike works flawlessly and is very easy to steer and maneuver. The only down score I gave it is under Quality & Reliability as my horn stops working as soon as the bike heats up a bit... I was told by Ducati that the problem has been recognized and new horns are being shipped... under warranty naturally... The engine is what I think is the best engine you can have on the street. V power with all the low end grunt is amazing… just compare the power curve of the Ducati 1198 S and the 1200 Multistrada and you will quickly understand that you get lots more power down low that you can realistically use on the road, every day.

MTS 1200 ABS

22 July 2010 by paulq6

Hi after having number of sports bikes the last of which was a Daytona 675, I purchased the Multistrada 1200 ABS about a month ago. I must emphasise how impressed I am by the bike as a whole, from its feel and presence on the road, stonking... Read more engine,ace handling and fabulous suspension. Until recently running a V Strom 650 in addition to my Daytona 675, I would not have considered running just one bike if it was not a sports bike. However the V Strom made me realise you can have fun on two wheels without hyper speeds, and with total comfort and practicality. Would have got the S if could afford extra and not have to wait until Oct/Nov, though in reality have never really fiddled wiyh the setup of any of my bikes anyway so no great loss. It's not perfect however as gearchange not always positive, coule false neutrals, including at standstill with green neutral light on and gear position indicator at N.It does surge a little also which is more annoying than problematic, and does not really detract too much from spoiling ownership. Performance is phenomenal with loads of torque available, with superbike type performance not a problem but in total comfort. The front end does dive a lot when braking but may look at preload to stiffen it up a little.The four power modes are useful but think would only use enduro or urban if really wet or had unsure pillion, touring gives full 150 bhp with slightly softer delivery than the sports which gives instant go, and is the best mode when riding solo. Vastly reduced service costs were also a deciding factor in the selection of this bike, as my 749's service costs previously steered me away from Ducati. I have no idea how it fares off road as nearest thing ro off road I'd venture on is probably a gravel car park or similar. Thought seat height may be an issue as I'm a short arse, but the balance of bike makes you feel confident even at slow speeds / u turns. Only gripe really is really poor rear brake feel and performance, which would be nice for u turns to just steady bike. Economy averages 49 mpg and tank range gives approx 200 miles between fill ups, with comfort in between not a problem. Electronic dash is very comprehensive but why 40 mpg for first fuel consumption figure #?? Buffeting is not so much of a problem I have the easily adjustable screen set to the lowest position which does not cause any problems. Set to higher is fine unless taking a pillion when seems to be on oscillating motion behind my helmet.

mj007

09 July 2010 by aphmitchell

It should be for that price!!! BTW how can i rate a bike I have only sat on? Overall 1 2 3 4 5 Ride and Handling 1 2 3 4 5 Equipment 1 2 3 4 5 Quality and Reliabilty 1 2 3 4 5 Value 1 2 3 4 5 Engine 1 2 3 4 5 Read more

my multi

08 July 2010 by mj007

best bike ive owned by a long way Read more

Year introduced 2010
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Max torque 87.5 ft-lb
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Liquid-cooled, 8v V-twin, 6 gears
Frame type Tubular steel trellis
Front suspension Preload, compression and rebound damping
Rear suspension Preload and rebound damping
Front brake 2 x 320mm discs, radial 4-piston Brembo calipers (ABS)
Rear brake 245mm disc, 2-piston caliper, (ABS)

2010: Model introduced.

Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport: Electronically adjustable Ohlins suspension. Carbon fibre cam belt covers, air intakes and hugger. £14,295.
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring: Electronically adjustable Ohlins suspension panniers, heated grips and centre-stand. £14,295

• Ducati Multistrada 1200
  • DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200  (2010-on)