KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 (2010-on) Review

Published: 12 March 2010

"A Jack of trades, and at under £6000 a bit of bargain all round bike"

Kawasaki Versys

"A Jack of trades, and at under £6000 a bit of bargain all round bike"

There wasn’t much wrong with the original Versys, it just needed a few minor faults addressing, which Kawasaki did. They engine vibration - which was a major fault - was addressed and Kawasaki improved the bike cosmetically, whilst adding more extras like heated grips. It’s a jack of trades, and a bargain all round bike.

- Video: 2010 Kawasaki Versys first ride

Low speed handling is excellent making the new Kawasaki Versys ideally suited for town and city riding. Turns easily, very tight turning circle, you can just jump on the Kawasaki Versys and have fun, making the Kawasaki Versys ideal for new riders. However, when you up the pace well above the national speed limit the soft suspension starts to complain. Brakes are excellent if you can stop the front from burying itself into the road.

You can be forgiven into thinking the Versys isn’t up to much in terms of performance but you would be wrong, the parallel twin has some real punch and on paper produces are respectful 64bhp. It’s got plenty of torque to loft the front easily, and it's perfect for darting around town and still has enough top end revs for fun and a top speed around 125mph.

We've not heard any horror stories with any of the Versys models and in our experience they've always been perfectly reliable. Despite the price it doesn't feel too budget, either.

The second generation Versys can now be picked up for around £3000 on the used market, which is great value for money for such a versatile bike. In terms of value and being able to perform in so many ways it has to score 5 out of 5. Find a Kawasaki Versys for sale.

Insurance group: 9 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

ABS is optional, so are heated grips and the 12v socket, but in basic form you get a lot for the money. The screen is three way adjustable, mirrors and indicators are larger and most importantly Kawasaki have rubber mounted the engine to reduce vibration - a similar trick they performed on the ER-6N and F. Compare and buy parts for the Versys in the MCN Shop.

13 owners have reviewed their KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 (2010-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 (2010-on)

My Kawasaki Versys 650 GT

05 July 2017 by Boyan Love

Great fun - I have owned this bike for 9 months. The bike had done 350 miles as it was their demonstrator and now has 3300. I wanted a mid size tourer adventure bike, and it has ticked all the boxes. Great fun to ride, corners as on rails. Fantastic... Read more noise as you accelerate, and is a smile a mile. I have taken it off road a couple of time, and it handles pot holes, and allows me to stand on the pegs giving good stabilty. Being relatively light, it is easy to manvover, especially when you want to rurn round in a narrow country rail. I love the LED spot lights, which at night make a big difference in improving lighting and during the day give the bike more presence to the other road users. Luggage is fantatstic. Most of the time, I keep the top box on, but the colour co-ordinated paniers are eary to take on and off, so fantastic for holidays.

Very comfortable on long trips. it has ABS brakes which work very well. No problems with sharp braking.
The bike reves up freely and acceleration can be ask fast as required.
So far I have had to replace the rear tyre, which had a puncture. The service comes up at 4000 miles.
I have added a gell saddle, upgraded the horn to twin horns with 120 sB,.fitted an MRA touring screen, a rear hugger, fender extender and a Scott oiler.

I bought the bike form Morotcycle Centre Orell near Wigan. I part exd my Honda Deavulle. I saved abotu £1000 on the list price of the same speck of bike.

I miss my stolen Versys 650 already

03 April 2017 by Kamikazenaz

My daily commute bike in Manchester, around 5000 miles done on a 2010 model and the only reason I might not buy another one after mine was stolen yesterday would be to try and broaden my riding and ownership history. I didn't like the old garaged... Read more tyres with my second-hand bike, and the rear suspension can bounce for someone who isn't prepared to fiddle with it (me). But with Michelin Pilot 4s recently put in, I cannot find fault. I like the seating position, the comfortable twin at low speeds but never needed more than 8 on the 13 rev counter.. it is Versys, it is bloody versatile. I learned riding on 100ccs on the streets of Bangalore, and this bike will still balance with the best of them in traffic and still open up nicely to clear gaps. I've had issues with the clutch cable, had to buy a paddock stand to clean the chain properly as it has no central stand.. and there may be better looking bikes out there. But I am surprised the Versys doesn't have more fans for it's value and what it does.

There are definitely better bikes out there, so not a 5, but I don't know if any can match this price.
An all-rounder; no surprises, long torque band and punchy, not revvy.
Clutch cable issues, and the odometer sparked out at one point.
A true number, mainly including my own oil changes, chain cleaning and lubing, etc Garage has cost me 400 but with top box fitting and some others included.
Bought second-hand, it had Oxford grip-warmers and I had to pay to fit my Givi top box from my previous bike. Dunno if the tall wind-shield is standard, but defo should be; it offers great protection.

Rochdale Honda. No worries.

04 November 2016 by Paul Sutton

It's just a great all round bike with character, comfort and fun. It might not be the fastest bike out there but that is not why you buy a Versys, it's no slouch mind you either but I don't think I have enjoyed riding a bike so much since I was 16.... Read more If you are considering buying this bike you won't be disappointed - you will probably wish you bought one years ago !

Plenty of adjustment to suit rider preference as standard set up was a bit soft for me but a few careful tweaks and feeling the difference was perfect !
A little bit lurchy in slow traffic but I found taking most of the slack out of the throttle cable helped a lot to give a bit more control and feel taking care not to take all the slack out obviously!
So far so good - 4 months old wth 3.5k miles on no reliability issues and no corrosion showing yet and I ride in all weathers !
Returning an average of 65 mpg can't complain about that. Will give more the more sensibly you ride !!!
Should have an engine temperature gauge - I am still disappointed that it doesn't. Otherwise it has what you need for this size/style of bike.

Dealer bought brand new. Got the LT package free. Excellent service as always from GT Superbikes

We love this all-rounder with understated character

01 September 2016 by Kamikazenaz

If you're looking for a genuine off-road adventurer, there are probably better bikes. If you're looking for a stylish commuter, there are probably better.. etc. But this does everything and I really enjoy riding mine to work everyday. My only... Read more complaints are with the rear suspension, which wallows noticeably at speed in tightening corners but seems a combo of old tyres and set-up on mine, and the brakes seeming slightly mis-matched for bite front and back. But what you get is an all-rounder of the sort that is hard to beat. Motorway 70(ish, give or take)mph and there is superb wind protection in a comfortable stance. Everyday commute and she bends on a pin, for a tall bike. Putter along in traffic, but also rip open mid-range for over-taking. I really enjoy this bike, take a test ride and you'll understand why. I almost went for a more-famous Africa Twin at twice the mileage and more cash...

I loved my Bandit, but long-distance there is no contest, Versys wins. Bandit used to corner much sharper, but I had cracking tyres on that so I can't say until after another 2000 when I change these flattened ones for some Michelin Pilots.
No problems, I didn't think I would like a parallel twin after a straight four but very smooth, has it's own little growl ( and a bit of afters if you know how to make the exhaust burp) but generally approach it with the expectations from a work-horse and let it surprise you, not the other way around.
I've done about 10,00 miles on a 15,000 miler bought second-hand. I've only had chain and sprocket replaced, and oil changes done by myself.
What I spent last time, but had spent quite a bit for top-box, panniers, etc so probably not truly reflective of cost.
Bought second-hand, I wasn't sure that the heated grips were add-ons as they're supposed to come with the bike..dealer probs making some money there. Screen was the biggest difference from my previous, and really noticeable on long haul, but remember for this price you get a lot of bike, and therefore the choice to remove/add/improve what you want.

Bought from Rochdale Honda, my second second-hand bought from them, never an issue with service or stuff on offer. I must say re: booking, once a mechanic went missing so had to re-schedule while at work, but they are bike guys and cannot fault their knowledge and friendliness. I go from South Manchester especially avoiding Hunts on Stockport Way.

Not a bad allrounder

15 May 2016 by Artman

Nimble, comfortable and cheap to run. Doesn't look too bad either in black/silver. Would I buy another, yes I probably would. Read more

Can ride for approx. 2 hours before numbness sets in. Not a grand tourer but have travelled to France on it without any real discomfort. Have road pilot 3s fitted and handling and breaking is very self assured and inspires confidence
Not the fastest out of the blocks but rev it and it does move. Smooth delivery through the gears and in town or out on clear roads I'm more than happy
No reliability issues at all. Just a shame with the vibe noise around plastics at 4000 revs.
Do all my own servicing
For what you pay one can't really complain. Have fitted Road Pilot 3s, OEM tyres are less confidence inspiring particularly in the wet. Have also fitted a Givi taller screen (better when it rains) and hand guards (again, better when it rains)

08 March 2016 by Scott A

Extremely well-balanced bike that doesn't do anything poorly, and does a lot very well for the price. Read more

Feedback from the front brakes feel odd, but the double discs bite plenty hard when you ask them to. Stock suspension is respectable quality and can be ridden quite hard. I would probably prefer a shorter, stiffer fork to get more out of the sporty side of the Versys, but when that long stock fork is happily soaking up all the bumps of everyday riding I can't complain too much. Those complaints aside, everything else about the Versys is pure fun. First, the Versys is incredibly agile for its size and weight, likely due to the short wheelbase, sporty rake, and low centre of gravity. Once you replace the stock tyres, you can throw this bike back and forth with a huge amount of control and confidence. The wide handlebars and agility also make the Versys very forgiving in corners compared to other sport bikes I ride, allowing mid-corner corrections with no problem. The real fun of the Versys, however, is that you can ride it any way you'd like. Grip with a knee and hang off on the sweepers, then get up and over the handlebars and push the bike down to the road, supermoto-style in the tight stuff. Straight up and down touring? No problem, totally comfortable all the way over until you're scraping pegs. The sheer versatility of the Versys has kept me coming back despite the fact that I now also own two "better" bikes that cost twice as much.
Once broken in, the Versys engine revs smoothly and playfully between 3-7K RPM delivering some solid, solid fun. Below 3K, it tends to lug a little, and above 9K the 650 starts feeling underpowered, but everything in between is a blast. The early torque curve also means that the Versys jumps out to 30mph faster than comparably sized sport bikes. That said, the engine is the biggest limitation on this bike. Most sport bikes will leave it in the dust above 60mph and I often find myself looking for a bigger handful of torque popping out of corners. I would love to see this same platform with about +20HP and a nice boost to mid-range torque. Still, the sweet spot for the Versys is anything between 15-80mph. This engine is perfectly suited for anything from dicing backroads, or cruising comfortably along at 80mph on the slab. Depending on riding style, my mileage ranges from 45-55mpg, often over 200 miles per tank.
10,000+ miles with only one failed part (kinked chain @ 8,000 miles) and an engine that has only gotten smoother with time. You get what you pay for aesthetically, and Kawasaki didn't exactly go over the top
Stupidly cheap to insure. The insurance co's seem to think this is an old man's bike, but that shouldn't stop you from riding like a hooligan while paying 1/3 the rate you would for a similar motorcycle. Maintenance is fairly inexpensive, being a Kawi, and everything is accessible enough that you can mostly DIY.
OEM tires are junk, and the windshield of the 2010-2014 model is nearly useless. I switched to Pirelli Angel GT tires after a few thousand miles and never looked back. There are plenty of mods and aftermarket parts available. For newer riders I highly recommend the engine guards, which not only cheaply protect your bike from drops and crashes, but look great on the Versys too.

My Motorway Versys

02 January 2016 by Steve

With just over 11,000 miles in 6 mths I couldn't have chosen a better bike. 95% done on the motorway at a cruising speed that has allowed me to get 200+ miles from a FULL tank. It just eats up the miles and loves the long rides. Read more

My only complaint is the seat. After 5hrs my butt cheek gets a bit numb.
After a quick running in period and some careful cruising on the motorway, the engine is now giving me some brilliant returns. 200+ on a FULL tank.
The 'earlier models are known for engine vibes and mine is no different. After 5hrs I think everybody would feel something. But that said, I can't think of owt else.
But I've had it in every 6weeks because of the mileage. 11,000 in 6 months
It's the basic model, no add ons so basic.

Bought from Blades of Swindon. Shop soiled, last years model, old stock. £5,000 on the day.

Versy's 650 Grand Tourer review.

19 August 2015 by Steve Groves

Fantastic all rounder, comfortable, brisk and corners well. The bike is fitted with Dunlop tyres, brilliant grip in the wet but oh, goodness, hard riding and soft tyres; don't expect a high mileage. Fit Maxxis; took my big Suzuki around the I of M... Read more with Maxxis tyres, brilliant. Ditch the Dunlop's.

If you can ride a bike, this will corner with the best of them. Don't be fooled by its small size and light weight. It can move when required, simply sort out the suspension.
Power to weight ratio is spot on. 69bhp and 216Kg equals a truly fun package.
These engines have been around for some time now without any major identified problems. The fact that this 'small' engine has been going for so long says it all really. Only a twin yes, but in the right hands a peach.
I do use my bikes, tyres probably the most expensive item. Any dealer service will surely cost you money.
The Grand Tourer is perfect for one up long distance touring. Passenger; go for the Versys 1000. Different ball game. I have ridden in many countries and would not hesitate to ride on this bike. I have short legs so went for the lowered gel seat option. Cost extra mind.

Bought from D&K Newcastle under Lyme; superb. I have bought bikes from them previously. Great after care when needed. Staff helpful and all bikers. Nothing too much trouble as far as I am concerned.

19 June 2015 by guzzi850m2

It's a almost perfect poor man's do it all bike and perfect for Thailand (I live there). I fell very comfortable on it and the screen gives good wind/rain protection at higher speeds. You have to push it if you really wants to move fast but it's fun... Read more to ride a bike where you can use all the power (on the road) and fun doing it. Very cheap to maintain since it's made here, so parts are very cheap and service as well. On-board fuel calculated km/l is very optimistic, on my bike it sometimes says +22 but are more at app18/l in the "real" world.

This bike is an all rounder and it does all of it very well, well maybe not serious off-roading, I never tried that, maybe with a pair of more rugged tires it can do some gravel road riding.
The engine have been on the market for almost 10 years and they have re-mapped it for 2015, power delivery is still very good but don't expect miracles from a app 65HP engine.
The screen is very very well designed and takes the worst of the wind force when riding fast, well done. In the sometimes mad Thai traffic I have locked up the front/rear wheels a couple of times before the ABS kicked in but I suspect with better tires that would not had happened.

28 May 2015 by DP2412

Year introduced 2010
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17 in
Rear tyre size 160/60 x 17 in

2006: Original Versys launched
2010: Updated model introduced
2011: Available as Versys ABS [£6,834], Versys Tourer (incl. panniers, varioscreen and tank protector) [£6,937] and Versys Tourer ABS [£7,294]

None