KAWASAKI ZX-12R (2000-2006) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"The best aspects of the Honda Blackbird or Hayabusa, but mixes in a dose of good old fashioned lairy fun"

Kawasaki ZX-12R motorcycle review - Riding

• Insurance group: 17 of 17
    Compare insurance quotes now

For many owners the Kawasaki ZX-12R combines the best aspects of the Honda Blackbird or Hayabusa, but mixes in a dose of good old fashioned lairy fun. The Kawasaki ZX-12R is a beefy, roomy sports-tourer, with an engine that keeps tempting you to open it up. Decent build quality too.

For a sports-tourer, the Kawasaki ZX-12R handles very well indeed and it has an unusually steep steering head angle of 23.5 degrees, making the front end feel fairly nimble. The unique monococque frame is certainly stiff and stable enough at high speeds and the brakes – especially post 2004 with radial callipers – allowing the Kawasaki ZX-12R rider to push that bit harder than a Hayabusa owner might dare.

Not quite as fast as the later Blackbird, or the `Busa, but the Kawasaki ZX-12R is very close indeed and few bikers can argue with a 180mph plus top speed as being more than enough. Tweaks to the motor in 2002, as well the fuel injection, with more fuel map fettling in 2004 make the later Kawasaki ZX-12R models a little quicker off the mark, or rolling on in the higher gears.

Early Kawasaki ZX-12Rs lack the more polished finish of the facelifted 2002 onwards Kawasaki ZX-12Rs, but are still durable bikes. The motors are excellent and can easily handle high mileages. The Kawasaki ZX-12R has a bit of a flagship feel and is a cut above the average Kawasaki sportsbike.

The Kawasaki ZX-12R isn’t as fashionable as some other mega sportsbikes and during its production run it struggled to match the success of the Hayabusa and Blackbird. But the Kawasaki ZX-12R is every bit as good a bike to ride and buying one used is a good bet – loads of performance for the money basically. Find a Kawasaki ZX-12R for sale.

Insurance group: 17 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Kawasaki ZX-12R has an impressively large dashboard, but an analogue speedo reading to 220mph is hard to read at any serious speed. There’s a fuel gauge, plus a clock there too. Pillion pad sits beneath the Kawasaki ZX-12R's seat hump, and thanks to an old fashioned side exit exhaust, there’s a stash space under the seat too. No grabrail though, so Kawasaki ZX-12R pillions need to hang on tight to the rider.

30 owners have reviewed their KAWASAKI ZX-12R (2000-2006) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Get one while you can

20 October 2014 by Afterburn

Tried a blackbird but they all looked a bit to dull and felt a bit to soggy, then I looked at some busas but they all looked to tired and flakey, then I found the zx12r oh yea she was just right! This bike gets your heart pounding just look at, the... Read more design is an absolute work of art and when you ride one you realise it isnt just dam good looking its seriously quick and very smooth at any speed. The build quality in my opinion is the best in its class its a proper bike that looks big and yet handles like a bike half its size. The zx12r is simply an awesome machine that makes you feel so good you wouldn't believe it.I guess the only negative I can think of is the speedo is a bit difficult to see but once you own one of these macines you really wont give a rats behind. Love It the best bike ever!! :)

Dream Bike

24 September 2014 by AddersZX12

I think this review is wrong, the ZX12 was much faster than the Bird, and had a better top end than the Busa, Can't say I've ever seen a Busa's tail lights.. but anyways.. this is the best bike I've ever owned and honestly i can't see myself getting... Read more the 14, the 12 looks better.. and just feels better.. none of these electronic traction control settings etc.. the few problems with the 12 are that it's well.. not very economical.. infact you spend more time in the fuel stations than anywhere else, but who cares really.. the feel of the bike and presence is great, mine is a 2000 full power version and pretty much standard tuning wise.. it's a good handling monster for what it is as well as comfortable. The best part is just blowing pretty much anything away without really trying, even high end cars like Lamborghini's etc. The top speed however is around 190-198mph.. I've had a gps verified 194mph out of mine completely stock.. Yes there may have been some tail wind but hey.. the best part is that the speedo was near enough dead on (speedo healer ftw) anyways.. it's great to own a dream bike that lives up to what you expected. 5/5 on everything from me

jim13

31 August 2013 by jim13

Ihave owned my zx12r since 2002 not found a bike better to ride only cost me for tyres and main service in all those years looked at the zzr1400 but pound for pound i couldn,t justify the price for the better performance if it is a little better i... Read more will stick with my old mate better the devil you know

Busa Killer!!! :)

13 June 2013 by Osprey11

For start, there is some data that need to be corrected TOP SPEED: 190 MPH FUEL CAPACITY: 20 LITRES FRONT TYRE SIZE: 120/70 x 17 REAR TYRE SIZE: 200/50 x 17 I have a 2000 model and "she" makes me happy every time i ride her!!! I don't... Read more think she's to heavy for mountain roads (my tyres can show that) and off course she's an heavy lady comparing with ZX10's R1's and Gixxers, but in the Hypersport class it has far better handling than a Busa or a Blackbird!! The engine is made of parts from a Nuclear Space Rocket... and after 13 years, it still makes other riders with new sport bikes chill, when they see "her", in their mirrors!! It´s a part of history too, because it was the 1st Hypersport bike of the 21st Century and the last one who had 220mph/350km/h marked in the speedometer!! Be careful with the engine temperature in the 1st models 2000-2001, because the radiator is not big enough and only has one cooler!! In the 2002 model they corrected that by installing a bigger and curved radiator with two coolers! My advice is to change to a water-free coolant product! Other than that it's a nice bike, that ages with nobility, and can be a really good mate in travels (forget the passenger!!).

Finally a bike that I dont make look a 125!

03 January 2012 by scottninja

At 6'4" I have had problems with a lot of bikes instantly being dwarfed when I sit on them. I was concerned that the ZX12r would be too much for my aging body and would not be comfortable especially on long journeys. I have been very suprised to... Read more find it feels great. The bike makes me smile all of the time, except when trying to bleed those front brakes - aaaarrggghhh!!!! Quality is great and handling is superb but then I am not a track day fan therefore probably dont push it enough to detect any short comings. I have wanted a ZZR14 for many years but wanted to ensure I experience the ZX12r before I move beyond it. To be honest I think it will be a while as the Ninja is just great, but perhaps not that great for my Missus - after 2 hours its hell apparently!

yes its fast but

04 December 2011 by pinkerton2964

The zx12 was my dream bike I had zzr1100s & found the handling a touch awkward as were the brakes.On my first run down a country lane I was impressed it handled amazing for such a big bike riding position was nice and with pirelli corsas it handled... Read more fantastic in the wet very forgiving for such a powerful motor. My brakes were not so good so gave them a rebuild and braided hoses much better but still not great and they fade also the disks don't last that long. My bike had a race can on that was way to loud so I brought a sports can k & n filter & had a power commander fitted and had it set up on a dyno. The problems started when I went to do a Lands end to John o groats with a friend on a Blackbird we went to John o groats from Birmingham by the time we got there it was no longer my dream bike. People only say 1 thing when they talk about the zx12 power this power that but no one talks beyond that as a tourer it is rubbish the fuel range is crap and the seat is very hard. The brakes are poor at speed (6 pots). The engine is great but kills the chain and with no center stand you can't adjust on the go. It says that the engine is not as fast as the busa or bird but I think it's faster than the birds just that it's all top end. The busa is a better tourer and the bird better than that. I managed to swap bikes for a while and the Black bird is a better package. If you want a sports tourer get a black bird if you want a sports bike get an R1 or GSXR1000. If you want power get the Busa it's less peaky and tougher motor although the zx12 has good build quality. tip make sure you have an extension from the battery to charge it as the battery is a pain to get to also the clutch can be a bit fragile.

superb

22 November 2011 by emikawasakininja

it is mind blowing an unique misle Read more

Big ZX12R!!!

12 November 2010 by umukoro

In 2002 I jumped on my cousin's ZX12R (2000 A1 Model) & I couldn't believe how comfortable it was & how it handled. So I got my 1st ZX12R (2002 B1H Model). Cut a long story short, I'm now on my 3rd ZX12R (2005 B4H Model). Based on my size/build I... Read more dwarf the R1's, BLADE's & the GIXXER 1000's so the big 12 is for me! Don't like the look of the Busa& the ZX14, to UGLLY!!! The ZX12R speed/power is second to none. Love it, love it, love it!!! I get told that when I shoot off I'm gone & it's hard to catchup & these guys are on 600 - 1000cc. LOL!!! The brakse are very good, even better when/if you change the pads to Sintered ones. Pros: Looks wicked-(people still stop % stare & turn their heads). It's big & it's my size. The power is somthing to respect - trust me!Very comfortable. Handles good. Cons: Fuel consumption is like an alcoholic! What do you expect, it's a BEAST! It eats rear tyres but that depends how you ride. Slightly heavy in weight. Make sure you fit an aftermarket exhaust it will sound wicked!!! Overall, I can't see my self looking/buying another bike for now unless the manufactures design something simialr & better.

My 12R Experience

09 December 2009 by Sean12R

I have a size and weight issue (large) so opted for a 2003 (B2H) 12R a few years ago. At first I really thought I'd made a big mistake, as the bike's smoothness and power kept tricking and luring me into situations whereby I'd be going insanely... Read more quickly without realising it, all at the wrong times. Thankfully my licence and I just about survived those first few months and I eventually got to grips with the 12R and decided to keep it. I go out with blokes that ride a broad spectrum of superbikes with differing riding abilities and my 12R ensures that my fat carcase is always there with them, on whatever type of road we might choose to ride. The handling is truly awesome and I have no complaints whatsoever. I can only assume that those who do complain about the handling are too small in stature to throw such a powerful ride around. I'm now in a situation whereby my bike is beginning to age but I don't want to be parted from the 12R because there's nothing out there that ticks my boxes like a 12R does. I plan on eventually selling my current bike and buying another out of a box and registering it new. That is how much I like this bike....

My B6F

01 May 2009 by Mauser

Love my bike so much power it's untrue, just pulls amd pulls and your eyes get sucked to the back of their sockets. Not good on tight bends snake pass type but loves the open high speed A roads. First time I saw a black & gold 12 I knew I had to have... Read more one terrible to keep the black clean.

Year introduced 2000
Front suspension Preload
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake Twin 296mm discs
Rear brake Single 256mm disc

2000: Kawasaki ZX-12R launched.
2002: Kawasaki ZX-12R updated with new bodywork, ram air intakes, gearbox tweaks, engine retuned for snappier acceleration, crankshaft strengthened. Bike NOT available in typically Kawasaki green paint.
2003: Black and gold and green paint schemes introduced for Kawasaki ZX-12R.
2004: Radial brake callipers fitted to Kawasaki ZX-12R, more fuel injection tweaks to boost throttle response.
2005: No major changes to Kawasaki ZX-12R, all black paint option.
2006: No major changes. Kawasaki ZX-12R discontinued.

None.