SUZUKI GZ125 MARAUDER (1998-2011) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"Works well and makes a decent learner steed"

Suzuki GZ125 Marauder motorcycle review - Side view

"Works well and makes a decent learner steed"

• Low seat height (680mm)
  • Suitable for A1 licence

Mid price cruiser style Suzuki GZ125 Marauder works well and makes a decent learner steed. It’s got more presence than the budget custom style 125s like Yamaha’s SR125 but it’s usefully cheaper than the twin cylinder alternatives which cost about a grand more when new. The Suzuki GZ125 Marauder makes a decent, frugal urban commuter too.

Low seat height makes it an easy bike to control, especially at low speed. Wide bars help more and the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder is pretty handy in town as a result. The suspension’s basic and the tyres thin, but the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder will still lean over in corners until the footpegs scrape – something that happens later than on most cruiser 125s thanks to good clearance.

Air cooled, two valve, four stroke, single cylinder – engine’s don’t get much simpler. It only makes 12bhp – three less than UK learner law permits. But the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder is quite light so it’s not too slow off the line plus a single makes batter low rev torque than a twin. Get above 55mph and it get breathless – it takes determination to get 65mph on the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder's clock.

Reliability is good unless the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder is neglected. Low oil levels can harm the engine rapidly. Suzuki don’t build the most corrosion resistant bikes and their budget options are worse still. Rust can appear quickly on chrome parts and ruin the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder's looks – plenty of cleaning and protective spray should keep it at bay.

There are cheaper learner-legal motorcycles than the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder – basic machines like Honda’s CG125 do the same job just as well for less money – but look plainer. Then there’s the Chinese / Korean alternatives – cheapo and some look funky but it's always a gamble. The Suzuki GZ125 Marauder provides a good balance of pose, performance and economy for the price. 100mpg is quite achievable and running costs are low. Find a Suzuki GZ125 Marauder for sale.

Insurance group: 4 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Suzuki GZ125 Marauder is basic but effective as standard. The riding position’s pretty comfy and the pillion accommodation’s better than many 125s. Wind turbulence is never a problem due to the Suzuki GZ125 Marauder's modest speed. There’s plenty of extras available from Suzuki and other suppliers, many of which are chromed for added bling.

9 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GZ125 MARAUDER (1998-2011) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

my first bike

28 June 2014 by Luna

This is my first bike, I only recently passed my CBT so I guess some might say I do not have enough experience to comment on this, but none the less I love this bike. Its comfortable, handles well, very efficient with fuel. It looks bigger than a 125... Read more and people have asked me if its a 250 (one day I will advance). As someone that had never ridden a bike before doing my CBT, I was shocked how quickly I fell in love with this bike, This was not the one I used for the CBT but I did buy it a couple of days after passing, then other than riding the Marauder around the yard for about 10minutes the first real journey I did on it was a 22 mile trip home. That was also the first time I went out on the road by my self, but I found the bike easy to ride, comfortable and safe. I would recommend this bike to any beginner, it costs more than other 125's but for those of you that like that look and style of bikes then its well worth it, I was told by someone when I was deciding about it that if my heart was set on it, I should get it, because whats the point in getting a cheaper smaller looking 125 for the sake of saving money, when ok yes the Marauder cost more, but I love it and because of that I will want to spend more time on it and looking after it. So I pass that advice onto any one buying a bike, do not just buy the cheapest you can find, you should find one you love because you will do more to ride it and look after it.

underpowered but cheap

11 August 2013 by stbrewer

So this is my first motorcycle, I bought it for £800 and it looked fresh off the showroom floor. When using around built up areas you would be perfectly content, decent speed and acceleration to get the job done. However when you take it into the... Read more country prepare to be the bane of everyone. The engine lacks power and has you crawling up hills at 20mph with the engine screaming which isn't fun at all. On the A roads the situation gets worse, topping 50mph on the straights, getting up to about 60 - 65 downhill. However up the hills you're looking at more like 45mph. So prepare for lots of overtaking by large SUVs driven by angry middleaged men in a midlife crisis. Whilst on the A roads I experienced the most terrifying effect of cross winds. With the wind pushing me into the fast lane, you have to keep your wits about you and lean far into the wind. However I did 90mpg so the thing just sips fuel so it is perfectly cheap for the daily commute. I am 21 and pay £349 on insurance which is a drop in the ocean compared to my quoted car insurance (£1500). The comfort of the ride is brilliant, the sitting position is comfortable for long distances and the seat is well padded. However at full throttle on the A roads has the bike vibrating going straight through the foot pedals and into your legs so be prepared for pins and needles when you get off. But all in all I am content with my motorcycle, it has the look of a much larger bike and is comfortable for long distanced rides. Cheap to run and to buy so for a first bike I would strongly recommend to take one of these for a spin.

LOVE IT!

19 October 2011 by jlcame

In Portugal, we ride 125cc without the stupid "L" plates. Thank God. About the bike... LOVE IT!!! I have the 2011 model and i can say its wounderfull. The only thing that lacks here is the engine, since is a 125cc, you can't expect much from... Read more it... But, oh well :) The style and riding comfort its super high! The sound gorgeous, and looks like a 800cc bike when rev it! I get more "likes" from people on the street than other old school big-bikes cruisers. Top speed (km): 85

Cruising

28 July 2011 by archer618

Fantastic bike cant go wrong with it well worth the money and its great for riding to no where. Read more

summer 2010

05 September 2010 by rashskitz

very happy with my 2006 maruader have ridden 1000 miles so far - its nippy to 50 then does slow down but as long as you keep off the faster roads its no problem. handles well and very predictable . very cheap to run i average 75 mpg . need to clean... Read more it every couple weeks but so far so good :)

2009

26 February 2010 by BikerDan

I Bought my 2009 Marauder in march last year, and ive had nothing but problems with it, Before it left the Car Park its fuel injectors had gone, then its gear then its brakes then the clutch, recently the tank came loose and almost fell off, im not... Read more saying that the Marauders are Bad bikes, just that i've had nothing but bad luck with mine, and 3 mates have had similier problems with theres

Great learner bike

26 May 2009 by Lee125C

I bought my Marauder new in october 2008 . I used it through the winter & regularly do a 300 mile round trip to north Wales & back its very reliable comfortable & most of all cheap to run . The only problems I have found is rust & the paint is... Read more peeling off the frame underneath the bike

A brilliant first bike

20 September 2008 by MelLev

This is my first bike (not technically a 'Marauder', as it's an import). I've only had it for about 6 weeks and absolutely love it. I can't really compare it to other bikes (as I don't have experience with any others) but it looks great - the only... Read more thing that gives away that it's a 125 is the 'L' plates - and it costs virtually nothing to run. I've not found any nagatives yet...

Not to be sniffed at

22 January 2008 by medlgr

Had the Marauder since August 07 when i bought it new to use through the winter. Does get breathles after 55mph but i have seen 75 on the clock and i am 6'1 and 15 1/2 stone so it can get there. The handling is spot on and really suited for town... Read more riding. Equipment is basic but on the wee cruiser its all you need. My only gripe is the rust sets on really quick, watch underside of exaust and chain guard and keep clean of road grit.

Year introduced 1998
Rear suspension None
Front brake 275mm disc
Rear brake 130mm drum

1998: original Suzuki GZ125 Marauder launched

VL125 Intruder: Suzuki GZ125 Marauder's V-twin stable mate. Heavier, more powerful and more expensive.