TRIUMPH SPRINT EXECUTIVE (1997-1998) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"A competent sports-touring machine that rides like it looks; top-heavy, fast and old"

Triumph Sprint Executive motorcycle review - Riding

The Triumph Sprint Executive is a competent sports-touring machine that rides like it looks – top-heavy, fast and old. It’s essentially a 900 Trophy with a Rickman-style fairing slapped across its mug, but the triple-cylinder motor makes a nice noise and it’s reasonably comfortable if you can forgive the noisy, imperfect screen. The Triumph Sprint Executive comes with colour-coded hard panniers.

There’s a sensation of top-heaviness that never really goes away. Building confidence on the Triumph Sprint Executive is hard as there’s never any sense that tyres and chassis are working in total harmony. The suspension is very soft and the bars feel weirdly narrow. The Triumph Sprint Executive's four-piston front brakes work extremely well, but the rubber hoses will almost certainly need replacing with braided lines now.

The Triumph Sprint Executive’s strongest suite is its engine. The DOHC, 12v motor draws its strength from three 36mm, flat-slide Keihin carbs, which produce a nice smooth ride and seamless power. It’s tough and handles pillions and luggage well, with few vibes. The Triumph Sprint Executive is characterful, fast and frugal, too.

The Triumph Sprint Executive's paint quality is extremely high, but bikes left exposed to the elements can look tatty quickly. Electrical gremlins seem to be the only bugbear, so keep busy with the WD40 if you ride your Triumph Sprint Executive through winter.

The Triumph Sprint Executive’s for you if you value Britishness and individuality over price. Yamaha’s Diversion 900 is cheaper, shaft-drive rather than chain, like the Triumph Sprint Executive and it’s comfy enough for a full day’s riding. The finish is good, providing it’s looked after and the motor will go on forever. Find a Triumph Sprint Executive for sale.

Insurance group: 13 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

If you do lots of touring miles then an aftermarket seat with more support is a sound investment for the Triumph Sprint Executive. You get a decent cockpit, with an easy to read analogue speedo, tacho, temperature and fuel gauge. The Triumph Sprint Executive's 36-litre hard panniers are of good quality and hold a full-sized lid each.

4 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH SPRINT EXECUTIVE (1997-1998) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Persevere

08 February 2009 by Anonymous

I have owned my Sprint for a year, within the first 2 weeks I had put her back on the market. As mentioned in other reviews the bike "feels" top heavy (hardly surprising when you have a 25 litre tank)my bike was fitted with a higher touring screen... Read more and a corbin seat when purchased, the screen was the biggest pain and is really what drove me to advertise. While waiting for the phone to ring my two biker sons persuaded me to persevere,the first thing I did was to buy a standard size MRA screen, I fitted the screen , the wife and I went for a run and then I went for a longer run. The difference can not be described, the terrible turbulence disappeared, my riding position changed and because of this the bike did not feel so top heavy.Because of its amazing torque this bike will pull silky smooth from 30 mph in top gear, two up right through the revs. without fuss,I now have complete faith in her and as we stay in rural Scotland the roads around here are quite often twisty and uneven, the Continental road attack tyres seem to suit her and even on the odd occasion when pleasure overcomes common sense the bike feels sure footed and under control.The speedo needs watching as the power delivery is deceptively quick. I have not accurately calculated the MPG but I have put around 3,000 miles on her and I reckon on getting between 45 -50 to the gallon,quite often two up on mixed roads (dont use dual carraigeways much)my wife and I have had 30 years of comfortable marraige together so the bike is quite well laden which is a testament to the non adjustable front and adjustable rear suspension.Some of the screws are showing signs of corrosion,but overall the bike seems to be in quite good nick for its age. The "extended family" are going to the T.T. this year the Sprint, a blade ,a thundercat,a CBR 600 and probably a GSX-R(depending on what my cousin has at the time)and I do not expect to be lonely.I am glad that I withdrew the advert as I have really come to appreciate this bike, and once I became comfortable with her I have had a very enjoyable, if somewhat wet( I do live in Scotland)first year. My wife feels comfortable and safe on the pillion and we are hoping for a better Summer this year with the possibility of our first continental tour. As the title of this meandering tale suggests if you get the chance of a Triumph Sprint take it, some of them are at really good prices now, and persevere. Although it will be after the T.T. my wife believes that SHE has already picked our next bike,a 1050 Sprint I look forward to the future.Ride safe,have fun.Bob.

Persevere

08 February 2009 by Anonymous

Triumph Sprint 1997

06 November 2007 by H-monster

Owned mine nearly 4 years and well happy with it, Okay it's a bit top heavy but you get used to that.It's no blade but it doesn't hang about either.Its carried me to The Isle of Man,Lands End John O'Groats and back and took me back to Scotland fully... Read more loaded with Luggage and a pillion with easy. I am will pleased with the bike and it suits me fine

Pricey Boat Anchor

28 September 2007 by marty1035

Owned one briefly from new. My model came with a few extras off the discontinued Daytona (I think). Anyway it was too heavy, too slow, the brakes didn't and I felt as though I was riding something from the dark ages. Read more

Year introduced 1997
Year discontinued 1998
Original price -
Engine type 12v in-line triple, 6 gears
Frame type Steel backbone
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake Twin 310mm discs

1997: Triumph Sprint Executive introduced.
1999: Triumph Sprint Executive deleted.

None.