YAMAHA FZ1 FAZER (2006-on) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"The awesome 2002 R1 engine in a more practical but still high-spec chassis"

Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 motorcycle review - Riding

"The awesome 2002 R1 engine in a more practical but still high-spec chassis"

What you get with the Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 is the awesome 2002 R1 engine in a more practical but still high-spec chassis. The Japanese firm class the Yamaha Fazer 1000 as a sports motorcycle and they’re right – but it has the ability of a sports tourer and a city motorcycle, too – with more than a splash of musclebike / posing tool chucked in for nothing. One of the best premium, sporty all round motorcycles you can buy.

The Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000's quality suspension plus wide bars equals big fun. The Fazer’s hard to fault, flicking easily into corners and handing well as long as it’s on reasonable tyres. The lack of ground clearance means well ridden sports motorcycles will pull away but the Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000's still incredibly rapid. Excellent brakes and smooth over the bumps too.

The Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 is derived from the R1 which means the latest technology with proven reliability. Injection is quite sudden on the 2006 machines – it’s something you get used to or solve with a Power Commander and some dyno time - although it's much improved on 2007-on machines. A little more low and midrange power would be nice but the sensation of the top-end rush, amplified by the high bars, is astronomic.

A weak point of the old Yamaha Fazer 1000 and, while things are a little better on the new one, it’s a still a bit of a let down on a motorcycle that can handle so much year-round riding to see brackets and bolts furring up so soon. Reliability wise problems with the Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 are very rare – accident or theft damage is more likely.

The Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 sits in between budget big motorcycles like Suzuki’s Bandit 1200 and Honda’s CBF1000 and the ‘fancy’ street motorcycles like the Benelli TNT. In the same price bracket Kawasaki’s Z1000 offers a more manic ride but less practicality, ditto Aprilia’s Tuono but with poor dealer back up too. Keenly priced, especially when discounted. Find a Yamaha FZ1 for sale

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 in this respect is arguably worse than the previous model. A less comfy seat and smaller tank range don’t help the Yamaha FZ1’s distance credentials. None the less it’s still a comfy, well equipped motorcycle. Loads of Yamaha official extras are available including hard panniers, crash protector bungs, immobiliser upgrade, fairing lowers and belly pan.

57 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA FZ1 FAZER (2006-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA FZ1 FAZER (2006-on)

14 October 2016 by David W

Excellent all rounder that doesn't seem to have compromised too much in any one aspect. Bought this second-hand as a slightly bold purchase shortly after getting a licence via the DAS - and sometimes it does scare the c**p out of me...but I've never... Read more been either bored or overwhelmed. I've used this bike happily for regular commuting (into central London), motorway-trips and a bit of touring. For a 998cc bike it is compact, very nimble and has more power than I can conceivably ever need. I cannot recommend it highly enough to someone who wants a bike that does everything and does it well. One thing I haven't tried it out on is a race track, so I can't comment on top end performance. And dirt, obviously.

Suspension is readily adjustable and, although before buying this bike I noticed that some people had opted on replacing the rear set-up, I really haven't perceived the need for this. I prefer a firm setting but have had no upsets on London's bump-riddled roads and out of the town this thing sticks tarmac like glue (which as a newbie has been a big confidence boost to see just how far one can push the bike). Brakes are excellent. My bike doesn't have ABS but the brakes have a supple lead and solid finish such that I've managed (to-date) to stay readily out of any trouble. Also, you'd have to be needlessly aggressive with the rear brake to lock it up (the feedback through one's boot is plentiful).
For me, the engine is probably the best bit. Because it's an '07 model the fuelling programming has been smoothed out, and -of all the models I tried before buying- it is easily the silkiest I ever twisted the throttle on. True, it is (a little weirdly) less wheelie prone than the F650GS I otherwise ride, and off from first it also requires much more clutch slippage. However, lack of initial torque aside, I have never found myself wanting more on the acceleration front, while the noises and reactions of the engine are so excitable that occasionally I've briefly questioned the need for a lady in my life. I don 't think someone would ever want for more from an engine...unless maybe you're taking this on the track all the time, in which case: why didn't you buy an R1?
It's been very well looked after by the previous owners and so has very few signs of wear-and-tear. Other riders regularly comment on what excellent condition it is in (and struggle to believe it has an '07 plate). Tiny bit of rust on the under-carriage here-and-there but nothing I've not been able to clean off. I've had it in for a comprehensive 24,000 mile service, and the mechanic checked it over and gave it back having only changed all the fluids and made some minor adjustments, saying it didn't need anymore than that. My only gripes are: (i) the move down into second and first gear is not smooth (it's not as bad as my F650GS tractor, but still enough for me to not relish it); and (ii) the side panels have required some fiddling and tightening to stop any rattling. This is -however- proper nitpicking, and possibly removing a whole star is a little harsh.
I've included tyre wear in the above. For a 9 year old bike, the servicing costs are pretty low, and it doesn't get through the tyres quicker than any over bike (as I'm not racing it). However, on fuel economy -while hardly appalling for a 998cc bike- performance is enough to lose a star. On my city commute, I reckon I manage 26 miles per gallon. Even on motorway runs I struggle to get the fuel economy out of the 30s (but that might be down to load and riding style).
The half-digital/analogue dash looks great (I love having a rev needle and will be sad to see that go when I eventually update this bike), but in terms of standard equipment, by 2016 standards (when I'm writing this) the basic bike is pretty darn lean. A gear indicator would be nice (one doesn't generally need it, but now-and-again I do forget/can't tell). Fortunately, previous owners have added excellent heated grips, a Werx can (cannot recommend the growling over-run noise enough) and gel-comfort seat, while I've stuck on a USB power point and a phone mount (because I'm a millennial and that's what we do).

I bought this from a dealer who was very patient while I check every dot and cross on all the documents (I'm a lawyer, so can't help myself). The dealer also knew a winner (the bike) and a sucker (me) when he saw them, because he was not budging a penny from his £4k asking price...

Great bike

18 July 2016 by Vic

Great overall bike built for the real road. Lightning fast, decent comfort, stunning looks and great sound Read more

No race bike brakes, but works perfect. Is fine for sporty riding without being to uncomfortable and hard.
As standard they have really bad throttle response and midrange power compared to the competitors. I have flashed my ecu, smaller front sprocket, slipon, decat, airbox mod with K&N filter. Completely transforms the bike. Goes like a rocket at any speed and sounds devilish
Superbly built. Oozes quality. No plastic feel like its replacer MT10. Seems to be running forever.
Low costs for both Insurance and service. A bit thirsty on fuel though
A bike with engine and two wheels. Nothing unneccesary. No fancy electronics and gadgets, if you want that buy another bike

Good deals on these bikes now since they have existed for a few years. A few mods and they are competitive with some of the latest streetfighters, but at a bargain price.

Awesome Sports Naked with gem of an engine , and lovely looks, agile handling

09 July 2016 by Chris

Superb bike - Watch out for Frame Weld issues - Mine has a tiny hairline crack on the right side frame weld (possibly was there when I bought it) , but all is fine so it can stay there, I am sure there are a lot of people riding about on these with... Read more hairline cracks and they don't know about it as I only found mine following reading the internet forums (after I bought it ....clever eh) . I have seen various responses to people from Yamaha with some changed as goodwill and some not, so it's luck of the draw I reckon......

I have a 1200 Bandit too, which although has far superior fuelling as it is the last on carbs (you really cant beat them), the Fazer is soooo responsive and takes off like a startled cat. Brakes are epic, clutch on my 15 k example is smooth and easy even though it is not hydraulic.
Actually 6 out of 10, it really is a beautiful piece of kit and gives a real rush when you use the rev range to the full . But conversely it is a real pussy cat when you want it to be. No problems and definitely does not need any of those silly rider modes....
Generally a lovely bike
I have been doing myself, dead easy to work on
I don't like these new bikes and cars with all the apps, social media rubbish and riding modes (why cant we just be left to modulate the twistgrip)

Private - very good

Perfect allrounder.Get one now!

20 April 2016 by fz1rosie

Love this bike.The raw power the bike gives around 3000 revs cannot be beaten, like the sound a rocket ship makes taking off (probably) leaving my head rattling in my helmet and my stomach somewhere a mile behind me. Worst features have to be the... Read more hard seat, also the footrests which seem a bit high. Oh and the side stand is a pig to put down, can't find it behind the centre stand. Mechanically cannot fault.

Cannot fault the ride, smooth when cornering, hurtles along at breakneck speed on the straights, there goes my licence. Oh and that grunt at 3000 revs! What an animal. Comfortable riding position can go all day without a break, perfect touring bike. Footrests a little high.
Loving the performance, clutch not too touchy, overall great.
Whats corrosion? No problems with my 5 year old secondhand bike, yet. Not had long enough for any problems to develop and cant foresee any.
Not had bike serviced yet as not had long enough-dropped a star here for poor fuel consumption.
Changed the windshield for a slightly higher one,love the twin headlights, my old FZ8 only had one light come on unless in high beam, fed up with drivers telling me my bulbs out..

Bought from a fantastic dealer,well pleased with the price.

FZ1 at 4 years old, done 27,000 in my ownership.

26 August 2015 by pilninggas

I have done 27,000 miles on my FZ1S. Going to the Alps and Blackforest repeatedly, Portugal, Norway, Romania and everywhere inbetween. It's a fast, powerful sportstourer (more sports focused) and it's done it pretty well. It's easy to service [even... Read more the valve clearances are pretty straightforward] and has never, ever missed a beat. Credit where it is due, it is well made and the handles bloody well. Only flies in the ointment for me - crap fuel economy [probably due to emissions regs] could be okay if the tank had a decent 220mile+ range. A bit vibey at certain speeds. Will replace all of the chassis bearings soon in a preventative measure.

Cycle parts are good, but the rear shock is cheap kayaba rubbish. Upgrade if you plan to keep - i run a wilbers unit.
Powerful R1 derived unit - a bit vibey though [no balancer shaft]. Run a power commander, gut the cat, do the airbox mod for a much stronger mid range which is neutered to meet noise and emissions homologation.
Very reliable.
Service it myself, bits are cheap. Fuel economy is not good enough when ridden sedately. Insurance is cheap.
Would be nice to have had a mpg computer like many other bikes.

Brought from dealer nearly new. Straight forward enough - someone else took the hit on initial depreciation.

08 August 2015 by jb

great bike I'm in love Read more

Grown up

31 October 2014 by vitesse7749

After 55 years of riding all sorts I came across two very good deals on 2 FZ1s. Simply fantastic, I've read all the negatives and to me they amount to naught. Fast, agile, low speed maneuverability, good fuel mileage, and the looks! mine are Gen1 so... Read more they are carved with the tubular frame. I simply cannot say enough about these machines.

The best move from a sports bike!

02 September 2012 by tamlin23

We are all getting older, a lot of us still want that buzz sports bikes provide but are getting aches and pains related to the sports bike crouched riding position - that can be ignored no longer! Need a solution to this problem? - I present to you... Read more the FZ1! This bike has a comfortable riding position to save your back and looks to rival or better any other naked/muscle bike out there. The quality of the parts and paint are blatantly top knotch (like most modern Yamahas I have found). But the biggest cherry on this good looking, usable cake - is the masses of available power at you command. The torque is fat and wide over the rev range, giving a seemingly never relenting build in power from very low down the rev band. This power could be intimidating to newer or less experienced riders, maybe even those returning from a lay off, If that is the case, the FZ8 would be the perfect bike for you (read my review on it). But we are talking about a bike for those coming from top end sports machines, who want to minimise the compromise - this is definately the best bike for you!

Test Ride

24 September 2011 by ottouberswengen

My approach to this test ride was from the point of view of wanting to try something a little lighter than my Hayabusa (for urban purposes) and also check out the quoted fuelling glitches that reviewers seem to dislike. This 2011 FZ1N was fine,... Read more especially from closed to small throttle openings, which is where most criticism had been quoted. No problems at all for me and also the low rpm torque characteristics also pulled strongly. It is lighter and more nimble in the urban context and filtering in tight spaces was better than the Busa. It didn't quite have the induction ROAR of the Busa but otherwise the instantaneous throttle response was impressive. Clutch (non slipper) action was very smooth & light and the brakes flawless. I liked the looks(I preferred the black) of the N far more than the S. One thing I did not like was the position of the footpegs. They dug into the back of my calves at standstill in the traffic forcing me to sit far forward. Rearset's a must for me on this bike... The engine was very impressive indeed. I'd say if you want a naked this is near if not at the top of the heap. The 6 speed GB was not as smooth as the Busa, but possibly due to newness and also there is no gear indicator, which is a bit of a let down by Yamaha. Build quality was exemplary and 4-1 exhaust sounded very good if a slightly on the quiet & cultured side. An Akra 4-1 system would fix that! This bike is nimble, very likeable, great looking & very powerful as well. On the road you would not notice the 0.5-1 sec giveaway to the mighty Busa in the 1/4 and 0-100kph dash. In the 250kph+ region, of course the Busa is pure Serenity without equal that I can see. With the FZ1, you gain lightness, but you also gain wind buffeting. You also LOSE around 45kg for the urban blast, so the FZ1 is fantastic, but away from the city traffic, the Busa Supremacy is still right up there.

motor oyunları

03 September 2010 by scayir

Thanks motor oyunları Read more

Year introduced 2006
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration 11 secs
Engine type 20v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound
Front brake Twin 320mm discs
Rear brake 245m disc

2006: Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 launched.

Yamaha FZ1: Unfaired version also launched in 2006. No fairing, no grab handles, 5kg lighter and £400 cheaper.

2011: ABS model £1000 more expensive.

• Yamaha FZ1/FZS1000 motorcycle review - Exhaust