YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer motorcycle review - Riding

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is a streetbike with an R1 engine – it could have been a compact brute of a machine with fearsome manners and ability to waste sports bikes below 80mph. But it’s actually a big softie with plenty of punch. Arguably the ultimate all round bike – a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer does the lot and does it all extremely well.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is easy, predictable and capable of going quickly on the road. But the forks are quite soft and the front sits quite high. It’ll drag its undercarriage easily enough but it doesn’t feel that composed doing it. Firming up the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's suspension with the adjusters and raising the forks through the yokes can help.

For the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer, Yamaha's engineers lopped the high rev peak power off the R1 engine – but somehow managed to make low down power a little weedy too. A de-tuned bike like this should ooze torque but you have to rev the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer hard if you want it to really fly. Shame. Modifying the carbs can help but it shouldn’t be necessary.

Like so many modern motorcycles, the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's reliability is great but build quality is not so good. Major mechanicals are very rare but corrosion related niggles are common. Plenty of the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's metallic parts will corrode and the EXUP valve in the exhaust can seize too. Headlights, throttle sensor and carb balance can be set wrong from new so they’re worth checking.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer give you plenty of metal for the money. But this is a competitive class. Suzuki’s Bandit 1200 offers a similar if less sophisticated experience for less and the SV1000 has the twin-cylinder charm and a choice of faired or unfaired models. The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer’s still a great buy and it’s got a big following so shouldn’t depreciate too much. Find a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer for sale

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

No fancy stuff on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer but all the basics are well thought out. Good headlights, poor mirrors, modest under seat storage. Comfort’s well above average on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer even if the pillion accommodation’s slightly disappointing. The screen is very low – most Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer owners fit taller versions such as MRA’s Vario touring or double bubble versions – Yamaha even make a taller screen for the FZS1000 Fazer themselves.

38 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005)

great all rounder , fast and reliable

21 August 2016 by monty

awesome machine, comfortable, quick, reliable Read more

super comfortable, I have changed the brakes for carbon ceramic though, i also replaced the fork oil and seals to stiffen them up and dropped the fork height by 1" it really has done the trick, it will keep up with most sports bikes
very reliable mine is now on 60k and no ticking or tapping still really good power delivery.
as said some issue with corrosion on engine casings, Exup valve had to be cleaned greased and a new cable wheel fitted due to corrosion.
with good service intervals and a good set of tyres you can really keep the cost down. I have always run battleaxe 021 sticky on the sides, hard in the middle and hold heat well.
basic set-up but lights are very good

bought privately from evil bay, did have to replace a few parts on purchase but did get a cracking price.

`If I`d known how good it was, I would have bought 2`

13 March 2016 by Steve Tate

Absolutely superb. If I had known how good it was going to be I would have bought 2 Read more

Superb all round. Very comfortable all day bike
I love the way it just delivers endless grunt, the Yoshimura exhaust does help
Faultless build quality
Tom Knight at The Bike Shop in Faversham does a fantastic job. It goes in for a service and comes out a new bike!
I didn't like the Metzelers it came on new, they felt like they weren't gripping. It's been on Bridgestones since - no complaints

Bought new from Infinity in Purley Easter 2005. Paid £5,500 on the road. Treated very well by the sales staff. Service dept let them down, as usual

03 September 2015 by Paulie

It's takes alot to maintainin it Read more

It's strong for real
If you don't let it go all to crap like the previous owner did

Wolf in Sheeps clothing

18 September 2012 by jayboy

Just bought an FZS1000, first un-faired bike, had to downscale my bike budget and coming from a 2003 R1, I didn't want anything too lacking in grunt, plus the seat and grabrails will hopefully tempt my partner to come out with me now and again. Not... Read more put many miles on it yet so still adjusting to the riding position (comfortable and abnormally high bars for me) but I am getting the hango of it. Had a "spirited" ride out with my mate on his 954 - we're pretty quick together and we were both surprised how quick I could still go round the twisties, it really is easy to ride fast and keep the pace up. Obviously a 1000cc bike is going to be fast enough, but how easy this is to ride at pace was a wonderful surprise. I don't really think the reviews do the bike justice. I have had the usual mix of the Sport bikes like Fireblades, Aprilias, ZX9Rs, VFRs and so on and won't rule out another Sportsbike for the track and short rides when and if I have more cash, but for a one-bike person, this should be considered by everyone. I have dropped the front end 10mm, jacked the rear up to max preload and adjusted damping to suit - and with some cash thrown at the forks and shock and a jet kit, there is surely going to be a storming bike unleashed, that you can ride for several hours at a time and you can also bimble to work through traffic without your wrists getting a caning. Great value bike for the cash, highly recommended.

A Great Machine

09 June 2011 by MarcusMarsh

I have had my 2005 Fazer for almost five years now. I was looking for a machine in this class after selling a BMW1150GS. (At the risk of upsetting all the BMW fans out there I'll say that, although it was the most comfortable and most efficient bike... Read more I have owned, it was sooo BORING!! Sorry, just didn't do it for me.) The choices at the time we machines such as the Suzuki Bandit, which was a little too old school, and the Honda Hornet 900. The Fazer seemed to be the best overall package as the motor at 145BHP had more stomp than the others, it had the suspension lifted from the Thunderace, brakes from the R1 and it had a modern look. I found mine in the MCN classifieds and purchased it as an 18 month old machine with only 1100 miles on it. It was if it had just come out of the crate. So what's it like to own - great! It's a fast and easy bike to ride. The engine is smooth and picks up really well from almost any revs. It's actually a little more modified than the 'detuned R1 engine' label tends to suggest. Amongst other subtle modifications is a heavier flywheel which makes the engine more tractable from low RPM. The carbs are also smaller which give better mid-range. I have not ridden an R1 so can't comment on how much stomp the motor has lost at the top end of the rev range but, take my word for it, it's fast enough! The suspension often comes in for criticism as being too soft and past its best by 10,000 miles. I have increased the pre-load at both ends a little and set the bike up for me. The result is a bike that handles very well and is still comfortable. With 7,000 miles now showing the suspension shows no signs of fading yet. (Yes, I know I have only put 6,000 miles on it but I am lucky enough to own more than one bike. As and when the suspension shows signs of fading I'll upgrade it because I intend to keep this bike long term. There's probably no need to comment on the brakes - R1 stuff so enough said. The riding position is day long comfortable and the controls are light and easy. The switchgear is standard Yamaha fare so no problems there. I usually get around 150 miles to the tank in general use with 170+ on a run. Starting is a first time affair as long as you never use full choke. Even in the coldest weather on half choke is needed or the bike coughs and dies. A lot of the time there is no need to use the choke at all. I have had it checked and no, the bike is not running rich. My machine is also fitted with a Scorpion end can which sounds fantastic; even with the baffles still in. The OE Metzler tyres were not to my liking and have been changed to my preferred choice - Bridgestone BT023's. A big improvement! The half fairing is very effective, particularly with a slightly taller screen. I have a double bubble on mine and cruising at three figure speeds is no problem. The build quality looks good although to be honest it hasn't really been tested as this machine is used mainly in the dry; year round but only on dry roads. There are no stone chips on the paintwork and even the paint on the engine, so often a weak spot, is immaculate. The only mark is on the tail fairing where is caught it a few times with my boot getting on and off the bike. (Well, I am only 5'9") The only let down with this bike so far has been my local Yamaha dealer but I won't go into details. Perhaps I have been spoilt having dealt almost exclusively with Honda dealers in recent years. However, I now use Woking Yamaha for my servicing and they boys down there are top guys. So, there you have it; a good all round machine. When I purchased mine they were still a little under rated so they were a bit of a bargain. You don't see too many for sale and I think that's because, when you own one, you tend to hang onto it when you realize what a good bike this is. How's that for a recommendation? I have seen the described as 'The thinking man's sportsbike' and whilst I don't fully agree with that it's not completely untrue either. Buy one and enjoy.

Great Bike

19 August 2010 by adkinsr

Bought mine new in 04 and now covered over 65,000 miles ...in all weathers. Smooth engine lacks a bit of guts low down but flies once wound up. Finish not very good, especially the silver paint on the engine. Tank range is fantastic since first... Read more major service at 24,000 (200 - 240 miles, normal commuting). Handling is quite fun but rear shock died ages ago. I can't really fault the bike, but for some reason I can't say its been my favourite. Lacks a bit of character yet probably the best all-rounder you can buy.

easy fazer

13 May 2010 by DaveScarrott

i had a fazer 600 both old and new versions.the fazer thou is a brilliant bike for what it does, bought it from cmc last september and have not been disappointed.would reccomend. Read more

Under Appreciated

04 December 2009 by Anonymous

The FZS1000 is not always given the credit it deserves. I purchased my '05 model a an 18-month old bike with a thousand miles on it and looking like it just came out of the crate. The previous owner was also good enough to have spent a good few... Read more pounds on various items out of the Yamaha accessory catalogue. My views on build quality are probaly not as relevant as some as I do not ride through the worst of the winter (I DO ride in the winter but not in the wet. Been there, done that, don't need it anymore LOL) but as a now almost five year old bike it remains immaculate. Although I do look after my bikes. I have read adverse comments on the suspension but have had no problems with mine and was able to set the bike up for brisk riding with my 13.5 stone frame. I suspect that the suspension on these machines may wear out earlier than on some other machines being budget items. When that happens I will be quite happy to throw a few quid at refurbishment (As I am currently doing with my 38,000 mile VFR800) and may even upgrade to a decent rear shock and springs as the rest of the bike is well worth it. The engine is a peach. Lots of pull in any gear and smooth. The riding position is neutral and day-long comfortable. I have fitted a double-bubble screen as the original is tiny. Fuel consumption is reasonable with 180 mile to the tank possible. Maybe I'll even leave the VFR at home next year and take the Fazer touring. For those looking for the practicalities in life strapping luggage to the bike is easy with pleanty of flat surfaces and anchor points for straps etc. I have a Givi rack and box for mine, which is great kit and does not upset the handling of the machine. I like the bike because it offers good performance and handling in an easy package. On the road it keeps up with most things. To be honest, if you need to go any faster you should really be on a track as the perfomance envelope exceeds anything useable on the road unless you are they type that takes your brain out before putting your helmet on. With a combination of (modified) early R1 engine, excellent brakes and a good chassis I look at the Fazer as the thinking man's sportsbike. And in those terms it really is a very good machine indeed.

Nice but there are better

29 April 2009 by ugg998

Owned a late Gen 1 on a 2006 plate for a few months comming from a 955i Tiger, this bike is very fast and handles like a dream if you ride on your own, Two up it wallows and bucks, if yor fat like mee ha. so a standard rear suspension up grade is... Read more needed ( most owners do automaticly) Why on a £8000 bike when launched.I still love it to bit's it reminds me of my 1980 350 LC only twice as fast. (God I'm getting Old)

02 fazer

16 March 2009 by pointrosie

had this bike now for 2yrs and it great for touring ,commuting.Done 8000 miles with her and loved every minite of her.Most miles to a tank 190 or 100 only weakness to me is seat is not very comfy after 50 miles .Tyre choice will change this bike... Read more greatly as ive used quite a few,bridgestone deffinatley the way forward she can be a bit of a hooligan and lot of fun Have bought a new honda so dont know what to do with her,keep or sell

Year introduced 2000
Year discontinued 2005
Original price -
Engine type 20v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel cradle
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 298mm discs

2000: Original Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer launched.

None.