YAMAHA YS125 (2017-on) Review

• 125cc  -  10.5 bhp
  • Suitable for A1 licence
  • New: £2,799
    Used: £2,200 to £2,900 See all YAMAHA YS125s for sale

The YS125 is basic, but that’s its role in life and for a budget price you get a Yamaha-branded motorcycle that does all that is require of it. Despite its facelift it’s still not sexy, but it is very functional and that’s why it sells.

In town it is easy to see why the YBR125 was such a hit. At just 129kg the YS125 is light, really agile and surprisingly good when it comes to flying around roundabouts. Its skinny tyres and big 18-inch wheels grip well enough and although soft and basic, the suspension is also acceptable for city usage while the riding position is comfortable. The motor is vibe-free and the clutch nice and light.

In town the engine is perfectly acceptable, but on a dual carriageway the YS125 feels so slow. You are basically limited to 60mph and unless you get a tow from a passing lorry 70mph is the stuff of dreams. The five-speed motor is a slug but Yamaha claim over 100mpg, giving a tank range of over 300 miles!

The YBR125’s motor is basically indestructible and the YS125 should be similarly robust. The finish appears god, but again, this is a bike built to a price so you can’t expect too much. Overall it has less of a feeling of being a disposable product that you can get on cheap Chinese bikes, but it’s not brilliant.

Priced at £2872 the YS is only £200 more than the YBR125 was and that’s good value for a machine from a recognised Japanese brand. There are cheaper bikes out there, but it is worth paying a few quid more for the peace of mind that comes with owning a bike with a big name brand’s name on its tank.

You can’t expect much on a bike costing this little. It is a shame the YS125 doesn’t have ABS, but in all honesty it doesn’t really demand it and the UBS is acceptable in its performance. The fact the dash has a fuel gauge is a pleasant bonus and the shocks have adjustable spring preload, which is nice. It’s built to a price point.

1 owner has reviewed their YAMAHA YS125 (2017-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA YS125 (2017-on)

Newbie Rider

06 November 2017 by Sam Cox

I really like the bike overall as I am a shorter rider and wanted something I could flat foot with ease to give me a little added confidence for my first bike. There are parts to the bike that come across quite clearly as cheaply made however when... Read more you compare the cost of this bike being a Yamaha to some Chinese bikes also on the market for only a few hundred pound cheaper I feel this is excellent value.

I am happy with the bike so far I am only 5'6 and my knees do tend to cramp a little when riding for longer periods of time but this may be due to me being a new rider and tensing up rather than a fault with the bike itself
At low speeds I cannot really fault the bike hence why it is classed as a general commuter, however my route home takes me through a number of national speed limit roads and this is where the lack of power (obviously isn't going to be amazing with any 125) is really felt. As a new rider I would feel safer if I could get up to the required speed limit a little easier instead of having to deal with the constant stream of white vans trying to run me down to get past
Cannot comment on this too much as its the only bike I've ever had however I have nothing bad to say about the bike so far and am impressed with its overall quality with the exception of a few cheap parts.
Just under half a tank and I only had to put £5 in to get back to full and it feels like forever before I am back at the petrol station.
Again as I am new to riding I cannot really say much but it has everything I would expect or want on a bike with a fuel gauge and gear indicator.

Purchased through a dealer for £2800 brand new which compared to other 125 bikes offered by Yamaha I felt was a real bargain.

Year introduced 2017
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Insurance group -
Max power 10.5 bhp
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Four-stroke, air-cooled, 2v SOHC single
Frame type Tubular steel
Front suspension Conventional forks, non-adjustable
Rear suspension Twin shocks, adjustable spring preload
Front brake 1 x 245mm disc, one-piston caliper; UBS