Turkey WSS: Sofuoglu battles to home win
15 September 2013 11:05
Kenan Sofuoglu has taken the win at his home race in Istanbul after a thrilling battle with championship leader Sam Lowes.
The two riders both got good starts, with Sam Lowes taking the early advantage as Sofuoglu got caught up with the second group.
Sofuoglu got clear of the chasing pack and had Lowes firmly in his sights. With just three laps to go Sofuoglu had caught up to Lowes - who could have won the championship had he beaten Sofuoglu.
The pair swapped positions several times a lap in a thrilling finale, with Sofuoglu eventually coming out on top after passing the Yamaha rider at the end of the back straight.
The result means Lowes leads the championship by 49 points with just 50 points left from the two remaining rounds.
Pata Honda rider Michael Van Der Mark completes the podium in third place.
1. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 31'59.707
2. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 31'59.747
3. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 32'08.781
4. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 32'11.694
5. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 32'12.403
6. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 32'12.643
7. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 32'13.709
8. David Salom (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 32'14.562
9. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 32'19.659
10. Ronan Quarmby (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR 32'20.136
11. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 32'23.249
12. Alex Baldolini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 32'25.099
13. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 32'28.437
14. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 32'28.758
15. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 32'28.825
16. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 32'29.788
17. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 32'32.850
18. Danny Webb (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 32'33.093
19. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 32'42.571
20. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 32'42.599
21. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 33'06.180
22. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 33'06.543
23. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 33'07.388
24. David McFadden (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 33'16.427
25. Alexey Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 33'24.261
26. Theodosios Sinioris (Sinioris Racing Team) Honda CBR600RR 33'24.603
27. Baris Tok (GoPro BT Racing Team) Yamaha YZF R6 34'06.824
RT. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 28'07.753
RT. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 28'49.172
RT. Sheridan Morais (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 18'25.297
RT. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 13'11.201
RT. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 23'04.529
RT. Damian Cudlin (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 6'40.997