Making an import road legal

Published: 09 July 2009

The regulations for getting a bike legal on UK roads have been getting more complicated over the years and it’s easy to get confused if you have a bike that’s out of the ordinary, like a Japanese-market parallel.

Does it need a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test or just an MOT?

The MSVA and MOT are different things. An MOT proves the roadworthiness of the vehicle at the time of the test. The MSVA test is a check that the design and construction of the bike meet UK regulations based on type approval requirements.

Any bike that is less than ten years old when it comes into the country from a non-EU market has to pass the test.

It costs 70 quid for a bike and there are 25 testing stations around the UK.

Go to: to find out more.

For more legal advice visit - Legal Help