Josh Brookes had to put it all on the line to end Shane Byrne’s domination of the MCE British Superbike championship by taking a hard fought race two win at Oulton Park. The Milwaukee Yamaha rider refused to let Byrne get into a rhythm at the front by moving to the front, maintaining his pace before riding a stunning final lap to defend the lead from the constantly attacking Byrne.
Brookes said: “It was really hard to lead the race and set the pace, but I knew that was what I had to do. Earlier in the race when Shane came past I didn’t want to let him get into his rhythm because when he has a clear track he’s hard to beat. I wanted to get straight back past him and I did it with a daring move.
“I had a better feeling with the bike in race two and I could push from the start. I’ve felt confident since the first round. I’ve always believed I can win, now I’ve proved it.”
Shane Byrne appeared as equally thrilled with is days work onboard his Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki that saw him secure a win and second place.
“There were a few places I was quicker than Josh and if I lost any time I could always catch it up, but to get into a position where I could actually attack was really difficult. Josh rode really well today, but I’m peaking to have come away with a win and a second.
Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki man James Ellison repeated his race one heroics to secure another third position despite his ongoing pelvis injuries. Rapid Solicitors Stuart Easton claimed fourth with Milwaukee Yamaha man Tommy Bridewell in fifth.
The big loser of race two was front row starter Ryuichi Kiyonari who retired with technical problems on his Buildbase BMW for the second time during the day.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, race two result:
1. Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha)
2. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.118s
3. James Ellison (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +4.892s
4. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +11.841s
5. Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +14.145s
6. James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +20.894s
7. Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +21.606s
8. Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +23.506s
9. John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +29.872s
10. Jon Kirkham (Tsingtao WK Kawasaki) +30.862s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Oulton Park:
1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 95
2. Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) 65
3. James Ellison (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 64
4. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 44
5. Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) 40
6. Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 39
Share and comment on this article ...