Mika Kallio pounced on a mistake by his closest championship rival at Donington Park to extend his lead at the top of the 250 standings.
Kallio played the patient game, choosing to sit behind leader Alvaro Bautista and Marco Simoncelli.
And it wasn’t until the penultimate lap of the race that the Fin made his move with the persuasion of the overzealous Simoncelli.
The Metis Gilera rider dived underneath leader Alvaro Bautista, pushing the pair wide at Goddards and leaving the door wide open for Kallio on the KTM.
He didn’t need to be asked twice, moving into the lead and winning ahead of Simoncelli.
Sole British representative in the 250 class, Eugene Laverty, retired on lap 20 of the race when his steering damper worked loose and caused him to run on a Coppice.
Donington Park MotoGP 250 race results
1. M. KALLIO Red Bull KTM 250 42'14.410
2. M. SIMONCELLI Metis Gilera + 0.353
3. A. BAUTISTA Mapfre Aspar Team + 1.237
4. H. BARBERA Team Toth Aprilia + 8.875
5. T. LUTHI Emmi - Caffe Latte + 11.359
6. H. AOYAMA Red Bull KTM 250 + 16.124
7. A. DEBON Lotus Aprilia + 16.136
8. J. SIMON Repsol KTM 250cc + 18.007
9. Y. TAKAHASHI JiR Team Scot 250 + 33.271
10. A. ESPARGARO Lotus Aprilia + 49.681
11. R. LOCATELLI Metis Gilera + 52.534
12. K. ABRAHAM Cardion AB Motoracing + 55.311
13. L. PESEK Auto Kelly – CP + 57.399
14. M. POGGIALI Campetella Racing + 57.641
15. H. FAUBEL Mapfre Aspar Team + 1'04.329