Rumblings in the Isle of Man TT paddock suggest there is growing concern over the eligibility of Bruce Anstey’s RC213V-S to compete in this weekend’s opening Superbike race.
Paddock sources have confirmed to MCN that a number of riders and team managers have been in discussion today over whether to lodge an official complaint regarding the inclusion of the £138,000 Grand Prix replica on the entry list for Saturday’s race.
Speaking to MCN this afternoon, numerous team managers have denied that any complaints process has already started, but all agreed they may get involved if such a thing was to happen.
One team boss, who wished to remain anonymous at this stage, said: "It shouldn't have to get to the stage where I or any team boss protest this. There are questions surrounding which regulations the bike runs to, for example does it have to be the same weight as a Superbike as in stock trim it is lighter?"
The man responsible for bringing the RC213V-S to the island, Clive Padgett, told us he is not aware of any complaints about the bike at present, but said should they arise he would happily fight his corner. “As far as I’m concerned, the bike meets the TT’s regulations so there is no complaint to be made,” he said. "If the RCV is against the rules so is the Norton and Suter, where are the complaints about them?"
Anstey has so far completed four laps on the exotic Grand Prix replica and recorded a fastest lap of 128mph in last night’s practice. However, there are murmurs that the New Zealander could be sandbagging as he was on for a session-topping lap at the final sector but rolled across the line to the 128mph lap.