Michel Fabrizio became the first man to break the 1m40s bracket with a blistering 1m 39.714s on the final day of the three day test at Kyalami.
The young Italian made the most of the cooler temperatures at the start of the day and with the help of a Pirelli qualifier remains at the top of the table.
Jonathan Rea also put in a qualifying tyre this morning and as a result jumped to the front of the leader board. The young Brit has been flat out testing a host of new parts for the Ten Kate Honda and his lap time underlined his undoubted potential on a Superbike.
Noriyuki Haga has clearly got to grips with the Ducati by posting a string of consistently fast laps whilst looking smooth and in control. The Japanese rider currently sits third ahead of fellow countryman Yukio Kagayama onboard the 2009 Suzuki.
The biggest benefactor of the day so far is Australian Troy Corser who jumped up to an impressive seventh fastest onboard the BMW S1000R.
With current track temperature over 50 degrees, it’s unlikely any of the lap times will be bettered until after 4pm local time when the temperatures drop.
1. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) 1m 39.714
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1m 40.035
3. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) 1m 40.288
4. Yukio Kagayama (Suzuki) 1m 40.735
5. Max Neukirchner (Suzuki) 1m 40.938
6. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda) 1m 41.067
7. Troy Corser (BMW) 1m 41.102
8. Ben Spies (Yamaha) 1m 41.226
9. Carlos Checa (Honda) 1m 41.336
10. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1m 41.499
11. Tom Sykes (Yamaha) 1m 41.562
12. Shinya Nakano (Aprilia) 1m 41.840
13. Ruben Xaus (BMW) 1m 41.996