BMW Motorrad Italia Goldbet rider, Michel Fabrizio scorched to provisional pole position in the opening qualifying session at Monza. The 27 year old Italian who was second fastest in this morning Free Practice session set an impressive 1.42.327 which was 0.6s under Cal Crutchlow’s 2010 lap record but still over half a second off Max Biaggi’s 2011 best lap.
Fabrizio topped both factory BMW men Marco Melandri and Leon Haslam who both showed impressive pace and consistency during the 45 minute session.
Eugene Laverty improved from sixth this morning and is now on the provisional front row alongside the three BMW’s.
Row two is made up of Fabrizio’s BMW Italia team-mate Aryton Badovini who made it four BMW’s in the top five. He heads in form Brit Tom Sykes, Max Biaggi with Chaz Davies impressing in eighth place.
Carlos Checa moved up to ninth onboard his Althea Ducati with Jonathan Rea 11th on his Honda Superbike.
Crescent Fixi Suzuki rider Leon Camier claimed 13th, one place behind his team-mate and Monza rookie John Hopkins.
Monza - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.327
2. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.380
3. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.523
4. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.625
5. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.690
6. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'42.794
7. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.844
8. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.228
9. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'43.393
10. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'43.408
11. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.410
12. John Hopkins (Crescent Fixi Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.576
13. Leon Camier (Crescent Fixi Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.837
14. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'43.943
15. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'44.042
16. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1'44.057
17. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'44.203
18. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'44.321
19. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'44.489
20. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.686
21. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'45.156
22. Mark Aitchison (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1'45.841
23. Sergio Gadea (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'48.085