The first round of testing got underway at Phillip Island today with factory Aprilia man Eugene Laverty taking first blood to top the timesheets at the end of day one.
The 26 year old Irishman set a 1’31.7s best on the newly surfaced Phillip Island track in dry conditions.
Fixi Crescent Suzuki rider Leon Camier showed just how far he and the British team have come to set the second fastest time despite suffering a big high side earlier in the day.
PATA Honda men Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam both made impressive starts with the third and fourth fastest times respectively with BMW man Marco Melandri in fifth.
Tom Sykes ended the testing session 14th and last after crashing his factory Kawasaki and injuring his finger. At time of writing MCN understands that Sykes underwent a scan on his finger in Cowes hospital with the results being assessed in Melbourne hospital.
Carlos Checa’s season preparations took another turn for the worse after he was forced to abandon his days testing when he picked up a stomach bug. His testing schedule has already been seriously compromised by poor weather.
Day one times
1. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing RSV4) 1'31.7
2. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000) 1'31.9
3. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda CBR1000RR) 1'32.0
4. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda CBR1000RR) 1'32.0
5. Marco Melandri (BMW GoldBet S1000RR) 1'32.2
6. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing RSV4) 1'32.3
7. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000) 1'32.5
8. Davide Giugliano (Althea Aprilia RSV4) 1'32.7
9. Ayrton Badovini (Alstare Ducati 1199 R) 1'32.8
10. Max Neukirchner (MR Ducati 1199 R) 1'32.9
11. Chaz Davies (BMW GoldBet S1000RR) 1'33.0
12. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R) 1'33.2
13. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4) 1'33.7
14. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R) 1'34.5