GoldBet BMW rider Marco Melandri took his first race win of the season in the first race at Monza after a race long battle with Tom Sykes, Eugene Laverty and Sylvain Guintoli.
Melandri was third at the end of the penultimate lap but passed both Sykes and Laverty to claim the win.
Sykes took advantage of Melandri's last lap move on Laverty to clinch the second step on the podium.
Championship leader Sylvain Guintoli was unable to stick with the top three at the end of the race and finished fourth.
Jonathan Rea finished eighth after he was handed a two place penalty by race direction for running on at the first chicane.
1. Marco Melandri ITA BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 30m 54.925s
2. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +0.085s
3. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV4 +0.107s
4. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Aprilia Racing RSV4 +1.844s
5. Chaz Davies GBR BMW GoldBet S1000RR HP4 +7.629s
6. Michel Fabrizio ITA Red Devils Roma RSV4 +8.407s
7. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +15.555s
8. Jonathan Rea GBR Pata Honda CBR1000RR +16.465s
9. Leon Camier GBR Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +16.668s
10. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Racing RSV4 +26.820s
11. Ayrton Badovini ITA Alstare Ducati 1199 R +38.908s
12. Max Neukirchner GER MR Ducati 1199 R +38.951s
13. Fabrizio Lai ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +52.788s
14. Kosuke Akiyoshi JPN Pata Honda CBR1000RR +55.889s
15. Federico Sandi ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +56.006s
16. Mark Aitchison AUS Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R +56.827s
17. Jules Cluzel FRA Fixi Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +59.545s