Leon Haslam has finished as the fastes man of the day at Snetterton after the second free practice
Snetterton British Superbikes: Leon Haslam counters on Shane Byrne no-show in free practice two
13 June 2008 16:14
Leon Haslam set the fastest time of the opening day at round five of the British Superbike Championship at Snetterton, capitalising on a non-appearance from title leader Shane Byrne.
The Airwaves Ducati man, who set the fastest time of free practice one with a 1:05.557 this morning, left the circuit moments before the afternoon session began due to personal reasons.
With Shakey missing, it was Leon Haslam who put in the fastest time of the session and of the whole day – a 1:05.448.
Haslam set his time with just over five minutes of free practice two remaining, narrowly heading off charging Rizla Suzuki man, Tom Sykes.
Sykes was less than a second adrift of Haslam, while Leon Camier kept his name amongst the top three with a 1:05.847 being the sole representative of the GSE team with Shane Byrne’s departure.
Karl Harris made-up the provisional front row, and North West 200 Ducati man, Michael Rutter, was the last of the riders to drop below the 1.05 bracket to set the fifth quickest time of the day.
Cal Crutchlow has the sixth fastest time of the day, after a rather scary get-off at Coram Curve this morning left his bike in a bit of a mess.
Simon Andrews continued his good form of the year with the seventh fastest time in free practice two and Relentless Suzuki’s Michael Laverty leapfrogged from 15th fastest this morning to eighth this afternoon.
MSS Discovery Kawasaki men Billy McConnell and Stuart Easton rounded out the top ten respectively.
Snetterton British Superbike free practice two results:
1. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 1.05.448
2. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 1.05.547
3. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 1.05.847
4. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 1.05.923
5. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 1.05.974
6. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 1.06.121
7. Simon Andrews Jentin Lloyds British Yamaha 1.06.146
8. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 1.06.485
9. Billy McConnell MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.06.495
10. Stuart Easton MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.06.579
11. Gary Mason (Cup) Quay Garage Honda 1.06.758
12. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 1.06.916
13. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.06.996
14. Scott Smart Hawk Kawasaki 1.07.147
15. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 1.07.480
16. David Johnson Team Maxxis Honda 1.07.614